Fitness and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks for the motivation. But after a half hour on the bike, 2 hours on the trumpet, and then spending time to read all the replys, I'm feeling like I need a donut :-?. Either that or I want to get a job in the police department... ROFL

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Doc Severinsen claims that he works out 2 hours a day. He's still going strong in his eighties, playing concerts and practicing upward of 4 hours a day. Whereas it is true that some outstanding players were very overweight, I will safely bet that they would have been even better with a healthy weight and decent level of fitness. As I recall, Al Hirt died of heart failure and liver failure, so down kegs and skip exercise at your own risks. Maurice Andre had few vices, except for good food, of which he was very fond, especially after growing up poor. His career was almost cut short by diabetes, which affected his teeth and rendered him almost unable to play until he had them fixed. After having that done and losing a bunch of weight, he was able to resume playing at the highest level but finished his days in a wheelchair, like Al Hirt.

The plain truth is this: being fit and healthy makes everything that we do in our lives easier and more enjoyable (that includes relating to the ladies). In the case of trumpet playing, the benefits may not be obvious, but it will translate at least into conserved ability to play at a satisfying level over the long term. Being fit and healthy also allows us to generally age better and continue to enjoy life in general.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow. Thanks for posting that. It answers some key questions I've had and is pretty valuable for me at this time. This is, for me, one of the very cool things about internet forums - unexpectedly getting info I didn't ask for which is, yet, very helpful. Thanks again.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I lift 190 lbs out of bed, every morning when I get up.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Does your cat really weigh 190 lbs?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You'll be hungry in an hour! :-)

7. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Feeling better about my work out routine already. I lift at least 20 percent more.... :)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fitness has NOTHING to do with music. Fat, skinny, diabetic, world class martial arts - everything is out there and at the top and bottom of every class of musician.

Fitness is about US. It is a decision that we make, sometimes voluntarily, sometimes with a nudge, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes too late........

No amount of healthy activity will "improve" our playing unless there is a connection between heart and brain - which also does not depend on health by the way.

The key to better is in our soul, not our biceps. That does not only apply to music.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Robin, I'm going to kinda sorta disagree. Yeah, "musical soul" is first and foremost, yet I believe....OK, this is going to be somewhat esoteric, I believe that much depends on our physiology and self-talk.

We were lied to as children. Remember "The Little Engine that Could?" The incarnation I like is the one where a circus train needs to be pulled over the mountain to entertain little girls and boys. The powerful engines refused, so this little switching engine agrees to haul this train with elephants and a fat lady and everything else over the mountain. It succeeds due to the power of positive thinking.

Ain't no way that would happen in real life. Switching engines aren't built for that and the little engine would fail. Either the boiler would burst from the effort or the spinning wheels would weld themselves to the track. The "key to better" was in the little engine's soul, but it was still a little switching engine, and not up to the task.

True, biceps won't get us far unless that solves a self-image problem, and turns itself into positive self talk. Posture is huge, and also related to self image. A well functioning cardiovascular system is going to help circulation, applied to the trumpet it might provide a smidgen more endurance and power

I view trumpet playing as being holistic, and a degree of fitness will benefit our quality of life that will be reflected in our trumpet playing.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Wile I agree with the general gist of your post, I can't agree with this statement. In the extreme, bad health/poor fitness can have a lot to do with hindering music production.