Flaky skin

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I've really stepped up my practicing lately. Lots of Arban, working hard excerpts, many scale studies and alot of Clarke.

This AM when I looked in the mirror, I noticed it: a white, flaky, patch of skin right where I set the mouthpiece. I never thought I used alot of pressure or abused my chops. In fact, I've never had a mark before that I could notice. (I do have a mustache, so that may have hidden one). I do not notice any ill effects on my sound. In fact, I feel as though I am locking on to a far better sound that is richer.

Yet I am concerned by the mark on my lip. Is this eveidence of pressure or simply overplaying? Is it a scar?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Glenn,

It's evidence of a change, that's for sure. Could it be weather related?

Time to get out the Chopsaver. As long as everything sounds good, no need to worry.

ML

3. Bill

Bill New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Madison (Huntsville) AL
    HI Glenn,

As I have aged (I'm 49 now) I have noticed a general drying out of my skin, especially hands and face during the winter months.

Red splotches accompanied by small white flakes have become commonplace January-March. I get one right in the center top lip just above the red, right smack dab between those 2 little lines that run north/south between the nose and upper lip.

The more water I drink, the less pronounced the problem. My physician has told me that we actually dehydrate much more now than in the summer - mostly due to the dry conditions brought on by heating systems, wind, cold etc. It's just easier to drink more water in the summer cause we're thirsty.

Lots of Chopsaver and lots of water hope fully will help!

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny and Bill- Thank you. Chopsaver will be ordered next payday (tomorrow). It does get brutally cold and dry up here (high this weekend was in the single digits), which means the heat runs constantly :x and it gets really dry. I also do not drink enough water, so that should help, too. Thanks again!

5. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Occasionally I get a little patch of skin on my bottom lip right where the mouthpiece sits.

It usually just falls off within a few days and doesnt hurt anything. Most of the time it happens after a week or so of hard playing, so i should have another soon, hehe.

Nothin to worry about. Just lube it up with chopsaver and youll be fine.

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I've been using chop-saver this winter and it's been a positive, noticeable difference in my lip health. Also, I'm running a whole house humidifier and keeping the humidity on the + side of 40%. I initially got it so my solid wood guitar tops would not dry out & crack but I'm thinking now it also helps the human condition, specifically breathing and skin.
    IMO........

7. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Great suggestion GregC. i purchsed a humidifier as well. It sure does help with the dry skin!

I saw a piece on television where a dermatologist recommended trying to keep the house near 60%. The booklet with the humidifier recommended 40%. So I split the difference and with "Chopsaver" have been "livin' large" since.

My physician also suggested increasing water intake and moisturizing much more frequently than I thought necessary. Go figure, he went to medical school I went to music school :dontknow:

Stay hip.

8. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    yes! i couldn't agree more with the other posts. the more water you drink the better off you will be. not only with you dry chops but with you overall health. you wouldn't believe what drinking 64oz of water a day will do for you. so drink water...64oz of it depending on you daily activities (i.e. excersising, what you eat, ect.) and you should be all set

9. $$$$$

$$$$$ Guest

what is this chop-saver you talk of. Is it a specific kind of chapstick or what?

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Look in the "Support Our Sponsors!" section at the bottom of the Foums page.

-cw-