Flat in the low range, sharp in the high range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Tpt_Guy

Tpt_Guy New Friend

Jul 20, 2004
    Sacramento, Ca
    I have a basic understanding of how each parameter affects the system, but that understanding is strictly limited to an "all other parameters unchanged" scenario, which is fine in theory but not really possible in practice.

I use Matt Frost for mpc mods. He knows his business. Typically I tell him what I am running into and ask him what he recommends be done to adjust. Usually its a combination of throat and backbore, but not just one.

I once asked about a particular backbore mod and if it would suit my needs. He recommended something else, so I went with it. It works far better than I expected.

Moral of the story: Even if I understand what is written in the Conn booklet or in Jeff Parke's essay, I will never know as much as the empirical knowledge of an experienced mpc maker.

J. Jericho likes this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is all fine and good. My point is that I hardly know any trumpeters without body use issues an therefore ANY mouthpiece mod only serves to reinforce those bad habits.

barliman2001, Jolter and scottfsmith like this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My perspective is the mouthpiece just communicates the issues between the face and the horn. If the communication sounds good the mouthpiece (no matter the rim size, cup depth or the back-bore characteristics) sounds amazing. If the communication is bad, the mouthpiece also announces this, and the mouthpiece is perceived as a bad choice.

J. Jericho likes this.
  4. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    I experience these stretched octaves whenever I play one of my more shallow mouthpieces. I suppose I have a body tension problem, but the problem seems to be lessened by using the deeper cups. Fine on my Monette B2, stretched on the B2L. I've learned to adapt to some extent but I would sure love to solve it more permanently because I love how the B2L lets me play for longer periods in the upper register.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Try practicing after a hot shower with the B2L.

Jolter likes this.
  6. Tpt_Guy

Tpt_Guy New Friend

Jul 20, 2004
    Sacramento, Ca
    Ain't that the truth!