Flat Upper Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Juarez-MA, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I have been using a Bach 5C mpc with my Bach Chicago C trumpet.
    I love the tone, response, and intonation-hasn't been a problem. But now that I am getting proficient with my C (playing Bbs feels like playing toy trumpets/vuvuzelas), I am noticing that my upper range is quite flat. I can lip up a little but not enough.
    I tried a 3C mpc...my response improved and tone became richer...still no difference in upper register though.
    What can I do?!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try a Schmidt backbore.

3. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    you're probably not being able to use enough air support to sustain those notes at the correct pitch.

4. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I can play those notes just fine on Bb. When I get those "high" enough on my C, they overblow to the next partial.

5. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I actually had thought to look for something with a bigger backbore. Apparently, Bach mps tend to play flat in the upper register.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't forget that all those notes are a full step higher than the Bb fingerings would imply.

7. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I'm confused...

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Often, when first playing C, we read a G above the staff, and blow into it like a G on the Bb, but in reality we have to blow like an A above the staff played on a Bb.

9. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    That makes sense. It hasn't been an issue for me. I just can't bring the high notes up in tune- by the the time I bring them up to where they should be in tune, they shoot up to the next partial.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Try the more open backbore route. A more shallow mouthpiece will often make the upper register play more sharp, too. I tried the large throat/open backbore route on my C trumpet with two different mouthpieces and the horn was more flat up high than it was with the standard 27/10 Bach mouthpiece specs. Mine plays best with a plain old 3C, but everyone's different.