Flat Upper Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Juarez-MA, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    Did you check other C trumpets?
    it may be a gap issue.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps playing sharp scales?:dontknow:

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    please forgive if this is too obvious ..
    Are you sure you aren't tuning flat? ( try playing a bit softer when you tune in the middle register)
    and
    The horn is clean.. good corks,, right?

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Sounds suspiciously like a leak. Chipped cork or something.

5. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    My trumpet is 2 years old. Apart from a couple dents in the bell (stupid drunk friends :-( ), it is in immaculate condition.
    I do have a hard time bringing G above the staff down in tune. I already said that my instrument plays fine in tune...I get up past high C and everything is too low.

6. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    if the problam is only notes above hich C,
    I think you just need to wait to get even more proficient and used to that register in the C trumpet.
    the register is still somwhat new to you, so it's normal.
    and if it's not new to you, it is new to the trumpet, maybe it just need to be opened up?
    when I got my picc trumpet, high Es and Fs were really hard, just like on my Bb.
    but after only two days I could already feel the improvement. (the same was with its low Es and Eflats)

if you think it's not you, just check other trumpets.. the easiest way to find out.

about the high g, I played and heard some trumpets with high Gs that were something like quarter tone too high. what a fri#$ing note! :p
    you can try play G with 1+2 (it works!)

7. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    Ah...hm...very insightful.
    This is the first horn I've purchased new so I don't know how long it takes for them to open up. I've already played about 26 concerts on it so imagine the practice time as well!
    I feel like I might try the bigger backbore route. This is my main horn and I've made due but my inner perfectionist needs to find a way to have an in-tune upper register.
    I don't know what it's like for a horn to open up on you, but compared to the first few months, the horn has really grown on me.

8. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Don't worry about the horn changing. If it's well-built, and you don't mistreat it, it won't. Any experience to the contrary is most likely due to the player adapting to the horn, not the other way around. You certainly sound like you've done enough practicing on the horn to know it well by now.

I think you're right to look at mouthpiece throat/backbore, but don't ignore the chance that the mouthpiece gap is too big or small. I've read about that being a problem on some Bach trumpets. (The infamous Bach inconsistency problems.) Have a qualified tech look at it.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oh. We're talking notes above high C being flat, and a G above the staff being too sharp. The sharp G is normal--it comes from all those years of playing A above the staff too sharp on the Bb trumpet. Above the C above the staff, most Bach trumpets require 2nd valve for C# and an open D.

10. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I'm still having this issue. I have been too sick to look for a different mouthpiece. For C#/D, what fingerings exactly do you use?