Flexibility books?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spleeyah!, May 15, 2006.

1. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    I just transferred to a new school this past Spring semester and my new teacher puts emphasis on and encourages lip slurs. Now, this was a bit different for me b/c my old 'teacher' didn't talk about lip slurs AT ALL. But after really digging into this stuff and seeing the huge improvments in my playing i'm interested in buying even MORE books to add.

The books i usually use for flexibilites are Vizzutti, Stamp and Bia Lin. But i KNOW there's gotta be more out there, any suggestions/recommendations on other books to purchase?

Thanks, everyone! :cool:

-Brad

2. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    What about FLEXUS by Frink/McNeil?

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I like the Earl Irons book as well as the Charles Colin one.

Roy

4. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    The Max Schlossberg Daily Drills book is a classic. If you can do that, and Bai Lin, you have good -really good- flexibility.

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Arban. Beginning on p. 41 through 47. They are arranged in a different fingering pattern than Colin and Schlossberg, so that gets some getting used to, but taken the right way (pace yoourself and, as always, play them musically) they are great. And some of them are more difficult than Colin. The nice thing about them is that beginning on p. 46 you begin to do etudes that focus specifically on lip slurs and combining lip slur/articulated licks.

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Vizzutti has some good lip flexibility excersizes, as does Clarke.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I second this one as I have used both over the years along with "Qinque". The Bai Lin book is very approachable as well.

8. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Walter M. Smith.

Lowell Little has a nice beginner flexability book.

9. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    What they all said. Most good books will include flexibility exercises - many Arban exercises serve this purpose. I'd also recommend Lip Flexibilities vols 1-3 by Charles Colin and "How brass players do it" by Ridgeon. I assume he meant play trumpet.

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    This is the book I use with all my students - the title does sometimes bring a smile to the faces of the parents (and sometimes it has caused a few comments :lol: )