Flexibility books?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spleeyah!, May 15, 2006.

1. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    I use to not do any lip slurs or flexibilites exceries. Then my teacher recomeded
    some lip slur exceries. My playing improved a lot. Particurly in the range deparment. Once you get to the advance stage's of flexibilite I recomend patrick hession's book "For the sake of lead trumpet playing - Hessions Sessions Guide to consistent, reliable and sometimes, Invincible Chops!" This has some good lip slur exceries in it. Here a link to buy it. http://www.hessionssessions.com/products.html
    I would not try this book untill your chop's are develed enough to hand it.
    There is alway's good advice on TM, use it!

2. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Irons

3. terpfan0512

terpfan0512 New Friend

May 24, 2005
    Flexibility Books

I also agree with RG111 on the use of the Irons 27 Groups of Exercises as well as the Colin Lip Flexibilities (3 volumes - complete) book. Volume 2 of this book is the best organized of the three volumes. Charles Colin, now run by his son Allan, also publishes two other books which contain very good flexibility exercises. One is called 100 Original Warm Ups. The second is called Elasticity and Endurance.

Good luck!

4. mahaberio

mahaberio Piano User

Apr 30, 2006
    I personally really like Bai Lin. Is there a reason you're looking for more? If so, what don't you like about the other books? If you have something that you specifically don't like or something you'd rather have then we could probably give you a better answer.

5. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    btw this is the only trumpet technique book I know of to feature pictures of a semi-naked woman within the first few pages. Truly a masterpiece. :lol:

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have smith, irons, colin and bai lin. i like bai lin the best. i find the smith gets too high too fast. and to me it seems like irons and colin spend so much time sluring around the hi bb with the fingering that we woudl almost never use.

i find for me doing these much above the hi e is counterproductive.

7. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  8. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    :D wow! I've been checking this thread and writing down the books you guys are recommending and the list KEEPS GROWING! HAHA. this is great, keep'em coming! :grouphug:

-Brad

9. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi All,

The Matt Graves book is worthy of consideration and the old Mitchell method books have some extremely challenging material.

Cheers,

Brian

10. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007