Flexibility books?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spleeyah!, May 15, 2006.

1. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Isn't that enough?
    I'm getting tired just reading the list.

2. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005

haha! yeah, i think i've goTTen enough suggestions to keep me busy for a while :think:

but of course, if someone wants to keep addin books then so much the better! Thanks, everyone!

3. TWEAK

TWEAK New Friend

Jan 23, 2005
    i use this book. i used to use bai lin and some exercises some teachers gave me. but i ended up needing something more. so flexus came in as part of my routine and i've had incredible results.

i recommend it to EVERYONE.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I don't, I like all of the above mentioned but I like Colin the best. It has helped me more than almost any single book. The fingerings aren't important, the flexibility is. In jazz much more so than classical music alternate fingerings play a huge role. How do you think Dizzy played so fast, or Faddis? There be a lot of alternating going on.

Michael McLaughlin

"I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down."
    Virgil Thomson

5. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    All of these books are excellent. One thing I would say is that it is important to vary the material that you use. Recognize what parts of each book are similar to other books. Every once in awhile change up what excercises you are using so you don't get stale physically or mentally. The same can be said with excercises dealing with other aspects of warming up including long tones, technical studies and articulation. There are many ways to achieve the same result. Keeping your mind and chops fresh are a big part of getting there.

HD

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Flexibility Books

I am a big proponent of the Earl D. Irons 27 Groups of Exercises but alternate it with Knud Hovaldt's book. Hovaldt's book is very organized for gradual progression and mastery yet can be adapted for advanced study as well.

Between these two many different lip slur patterns are used.

I have also had good success with Colin, Smith and Schlossberg.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

7. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    I love the "100 Original warm-ups" by Colin.

PT

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Well, since it is so cold up there, you can really use anything to warm you up!

Michael McLaughlin (a Minneapolis native, which is probably colder than Nova Scotia which is after on the ocean, which tends to even things out.)

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."
    Gore Vidal