Flight of the Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    So I found music for this online, it's for a trumpet and piano player. I might learn it just for fun, but any advice on this? I started at 50 bpm today and hope to eventually get pretty fast, not Wynton Marsalis fast (200+) but around 160 or so. Any advice for fast fingers so I don't get pickle fingers?

2. Matt C.

Matt C. New Friend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd say the most important thing is to keep your right hand as relaxed as possible. Personally I like to not even use the pinky ring when playing pieces like that; I just let it float around out of my control. As long as you have good technique when it comes to fingering your valves I don't think you'll have any major difficulty getting it up to at least 140.

Matt

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Start slowly. The homo sapien learns by mastering patterns of motion. If you can ace it at 100 then 120 then 140, there will be no problem with 200. Bang those valves down, learn those patterns by repetition. You will be just fine!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    rowuk's right,
    Mastering patterns of motion is paramount.
    In fact, a lot of research would suggest that the only reason we have a brain and spinal cord is to move.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Have played Flight of the Bumble Bee in less than a minute (59 seconds) where it begins to lose it's identity. Still a very ostentacious "show off" recording! Even if I were now able to play, and when I am again able, I don't expect I'll ever be able to play it that fast again ... eyes are failing and the fingers are becoming less nimble with advancing age. I've long left the pinky loop except for occasional rest of my pinky on top of it.

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    With his track time of 118, I'd estimate his tempo to be about 170 whereas I chose a tempo for my final of 180 as provided a track time of 111. Too, I'm using what all would call student horns and without mutes whereas Rimsky-Korsakov did not compose for mutes, and any mute is a poor simulation for a violin. That said, absent any other providing tempo or direction, the performer is at liberty to play his/her own interpretation at whatever tempo they are comfortable with. Mendez is a renown trumpet player, beyond any doubt. Does anyone know a recording of Harry James' rendition whereas he is alluded to have been first trumpeter to play the "Bee". Too, I'm very impressed by the Canadian Brass tuba rendition.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Noted that not only Harry James, but many other very good trumpeters can now play the Bee and for all of us I'll admit it is just a "show off" piece of music that really impresses an audience, the only close equal (that I know of) being the "Hornet" as Al Hirt once played it. Ain't nobody dancing to either (that I know of).

10. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    notice that when Harry James goes into the upper register, he throws conventional fingering out the window. Harry was a master of alternate fingerings. I saw him play Bumblebee with one valve...and with no valves! And he was 60 with dental implants!!