Flip Oakes cornet!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by loweredsixth, Apr 8, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Has anyone played a Flip Oakes Long Model (American) Cornet? I'm considering buying one, and I would like to hear any thoughts y'all have on it.

BTW, I play small group jazz exclusively, and I currently play a Bach large bore shepherd's crook cornet with a monette B2D mouthpiece.

Thanks!

Joe Lewis

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yes I have. Flip sells his American (long bell) cornet at a very special price to expose folks to the WT quality . . . and all his horns can be quite stunning to many folks who've never played horns of this consistency and quality.

I play my short model WT cornet a LOT . . . and especially in jazz settings. Its my favorite high brass instrument of any type, due to its unique and special cornet sound!

Since you already have, and are used to, the shepherd's crook cornets I'd recommend you consider the WT shepherd's crook model too! You'll be stunned at how it plays . . . and how it sounds.

Both are great horns. The long model cornet is recommended a lot by Flip to trumpet players . . . but the short model is the ultimate for someone already used to the the 'blow" of a cornet vs. a trumpet . . . and also knows how to play a cornet like a cornet and a trumpet like a trumpet.

Sincererly,

Tom Turner
    WT rep in the US

PS: PM me if I can answer any other questions for you, or if you'd like the questions answered in much greater detail! I'll also be glad to call you to discuss the differences in detail also!

3. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Thanks for the information Tom. Are you saying that the American cornet is a lower-level instrument?

I'm looking for a more direct sound, but still dark and fat.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks for asking this question! No, its not a lower-level WT at all. In every way it is just as good as the others.

Flip simply told me he lowered the price deliberately on this model to expose more people to his horns! He uses it as a loss leader . . . which makes it an extraordinary value. It also has more projection and power, being a long bell cornet.

BOTH model cornets have their bells made on the same mandrel! Makers discovered about 90 years ago that simply changing the wrap from a shepherd's crook type to a "long bell" type cornet gave the newer invention more power . . . sort of like a trumpet. However, the cornet sound is STILL a cornet sound . . . but the long bell type has more projection.

Sorry for the confusion!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

5. Jazz Man

Jazz Man New Friend

Sep 29, 2004
    Hi loweredsixth! :D

Tom sure is right!!! I played every horn at Flip's display

at ITG in Fort Worth at TCU almost two years ago. Wow,

his trumpets and cornets are awesome! The shepherds

crook has a more true, authentic cornet sound... but the

feel of them takes a little getting used to. Folks who play

cornet exclusively would generally recommend those. It

is usually a little easier for trumpet playeres who switch

back and forth to play the "long bell" version. Mr Turner

is right on the money again. These project better. Some

people refer to them as "long bell" or even as "American"

cornets. If you haven't played a shepherds crook version

and you plan to play both the trumpet and cornet, that's

probably the way to go. You might be able to get a feel

for the difference by playing some various models at the

local music store. But when you're ready to buy, get the

Wild Thing. Mr Oakes cuts no corners, they are great!!!

Jazz Man

6. Alas

Alas New Friend

Nov 23, 2004
    Norway
    Just remember that the WT has a huge bor, and you need to be a good player with a lot of air to play it. Me and some others I know have had a few intonations problems with the WT trumpet. Haven't tried the cornet, but I'm guessing the same goes for that too.
    Also, the WT stands out, which is good if you're a lead player, but not as good in a section.

If you want the original cornet-sound I'd recommend a Besson. If you want something special, go for the WT (or some other make). Good instruments and superior quality.