Flitz Metal Polish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barrypartake, Mar 19, 2008.

1. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    I have an older model (1975?) Holton-LeBlanc Al Hirt signature model that plays really well but needs some cleaning and I was wondering if Flitz would help or hurt it. I don't have a place to get it professionally chem cleaned?
    :dontknow: Also, does anyone know of a website that could date this horn by serial number. Nothing on the Holton site

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I've used Flitz...works great on lacquer. I don't know about silver,
    don't have one. Sorry-

3. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    I have used Flitz on my raw brass horns...excellent. However, for silver, I'd suggest a GOOD, gentle silver polish before going to Flitz. Can't recommend one...but others can.

dizzyizzy

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite polish is MAAS - you can use it on any metal, but I wouldn't use it on a laquered finish. It does a great job on silver, and lasts a long time.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Silver horns belong in a bath of HOT saltwater with a piece of aluminum foil. The "oxide" part of silver oxide moves to the aluminum, leaving the silver INTACT and shiny. If there are any unshiny spots after that, they can be cleaned manually afterwards.

6. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    Thank's for the info.

Barry

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I would contact the Leblanc company for info on their later models. Kirmser's list has serials to 1980. Welcome to the world of Leblanc You didn't post what the serial number is , that I saw.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ROWUK,
    My somewhat faulty memory suggests that the Trumpet and the foil SHOULD NOT touch each other at all - I think it leaves marks on the Trumpet - have you any experience/knowledge of this phenomenom?

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

I like Hagerty's in the aerosol container.

It keeps the tarnish away for several months.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

10. barrypartake

barrypartake New Friend

Mar 13, 2008
    The serial number is 15822. No help from the Selmer link but thanks for trying.
    Barry