Flitz Metal Polish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barrypartake, Mar 19, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Unless the trumpet and foil are in physical contact, there will be no electrolytic action, meaning that the tarnish on the silver can not be transferred to the aluminum foil. To test this, use a silver 'yard sale' spoon in the solution, being certain to isolate the spoon from the foil with an isolating layer of sheet plastic,and, later, in direct contact. The test while the spoon is in contact with the foil will do much more to remove tarnish from the spoon.

OLDLOU>>

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Old Lou,
    I will indeed test this because I seem to remember that electroplating baths (effectively the same salty liquid) have two terminals (cathode and anode) which do not touch, but the electrons still pass from one to the other, from the more to the less active material. I won't try my trumpet until I'm sure though.

3. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois

For some reason saltwater doesn't sound like it would be very good for an instrument. Are you talking polishing a collector horn, that probably won't be played much, or a performance horn that I could take to band?

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Short term dipping in a saline solution will have no detrimental effect upon brass, silver, or gold, from which trumpets and cornets are made. It is extremely damaging to any ferous alloy.

OLDLOU>>

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

Interesting! There is a Holton Al Hirt on ebay now with listed serial as 458051 she says is from 67 according to internet info. There is a review of one on brass-review the owner said was from the mid-60's. I don't find the model run of that model anywhere.