Flitz Polish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by dkinyon31, Jan 7, 2018.

1. dkinyon31

dkinyon31 New Friend

Dec 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Has anyone had experience using Fliz Polish on lacquer trumpets?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you're talking about Flitz metal polish, you don't want to use it on lacquer.

Dennis78 likes this.
  3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Only thing you need to polish laqure is a soft cloth

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    If your lacquer is starting to develop some spots, you could try spraying on just a little WD40 and wiping it with a soft cloth. This also works to get the dirt/spit/grease marks off, but if that's your only problem distilled water or glass cleaner. I use a "natural" glass cleaner because Windex still contains an ammonia compound, and I've been told ammonia damages some kinds of lacquer, so that works fine and doesn't leave any water spots.

5. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    I am a big fan of wax. I do use Renaissance Wax because it is non acidic. You could use a PURE Carnauba (no cleaners)..like Mothers. But why bother. I paid the $25 for the 200 ml jar. It will last forever. Its the best Wax on the planet. Developed for London Museum. You can use it on leather, or any metal. Once you clean silver it keeps it nice. I used on by Bach, Eterna, and silver Capri.

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Wax is good on raw brass, but not needed on lacquer. Lacquer already performs the function of protecting the metal from touching. If the lacquer's intact, you just need to clean the dirt and grease from it. The renaissance wax is probably safe to use on top of the lacquer, and will offer additional protection, but it seems like overkill.

7. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Yea. True. But once the lacquer clean, the Wax will help protect it from acidic/sweaty hands. It will keep the horn looking nice. Its really great though on silver instead of polishing. Pretty mandatory on horns that have been de-lacquered.

8. Anthony7500

Anthony7500 Pianissimo User

May 23, 2017
    New York
    Flitz is a great universal polish and cleaner, in my unprofessional opinion I think its amazing for raw brass. I have the spray cleaner, which when combined with a brush cleans out tubes very well, though you NEED TO clean it with soapy water afterwards because it smells horrid and I haven't tested it but it might eat you horn (I have some scrap brass I'll soak in it and see). As for the polish, its great for brass, iron alloys, nickel, and copper. Pretty meh on silver though. I have used it on my York 75 since the repair shop accidentally ripped about 60% of the lacquer off of it hasn't attacked the lacquer. If you just want to clean the lacquer though, luke warm soapy water should do the trick. you could wax it afterwards as the others suggested.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I use both Flitz and Simichrome for polishing. Flitz seems less abrasive, but that's just my opinion. I've used it to polish metal and paint surfaces that I've smoothed out with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

10. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    My horn guy uses it on valve pistons to improve operation if there is oxide on them. Very safe. As mentioned, probably less abrasive then simichrome

Sturmbill likes this.