Flooding

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by UWGtrumpet, Jan 5, 2007.

1. UWGtrumpet

UWGtrumpet New Friend

Jan 5, 2007
    So I have this little problem with a new intermediate trumpet that I got from Jupiter, I heard they were coming up in the trumpet world so I got a intermediate to finish my college career with. Well here's the deal everytime I play this horn in a matter of miniutes my first valve slide has to be emptied, and im not talking about a little water im talking about bubbles and crap while im playing. Does anyone else have this problem when they play on either their trumpet or on a jupiter? Do you have any segestions.
    so you know im not tilting the trumpet back or anything like that. and I empty the amado keys more then i have to.

thanks
    Jon

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I've had a Jupiter 846L flugel for a number of years now (after they improved their quality). The one thing I found with the horn that was somewhat disturbing is that it was difficult to empty the waterkeys; amado. Using a small, focussing penlight to peer down the tubing, I was able to discover that when the hole was drilled through the tubing where the waterkeys are mounted, either the hole was drilled too quickly or it was drilled using a dull drill bit. This left a raised "burr" of metal inside the tube that would prevent water from draining out properly.

What I did was: a) reach down into the tubing with a small scraper (made from an old chainsaw file!) and remove the burr or, b) when this wasn't practical, remove the innards from the amado waterkey and very slowly and carefully redrill through the body of the waterkey into the tubing using a "very" slightly larger (and new, hence "sharp") drill bit.

Problem solved.

I would suspect that your waterkeys have a similar problem and are holding back the condensation which is then getting blown through to the 1st slide (which is the last slide in the air column before the bell).

I also have Amado waterkeys on my Getzen cornet and my Eclipse; they have always worked perfectly so I can't condemn Amado waterkeys "per se"... but rather the care and attention put to installing them.

3. UWGtrumpet

UWGtrumpet New Friend

Jan 5, 2007
    Yea I thought that my water was getting blown through ill check it out thanks for the help.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Your insturment repair person can unsolder the Amado key and debur the hole in the tube. A mechanical fixture matches up the hole in the Amado and the tube for resoldering. It should work better.