Florida Repair Genius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Dec 7, 2006.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    My 1911 CG Conn trumpet has terrible valve leakage, leaving only the upper range playable. It has a wonderful sound, and has slides for low and high pitch conversion (a rare find). I'D LIKE TO HAVE A FACE TO FACE WITH A REPAIR GENIUS IN FLORIDA (presently my home state). Do any of you TM's know of a Dr. Frankenstein in Florida who can bring this horn back to life?

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Vintage Cornet repair

Roy Lawler did a 1911 Holton cornet for me many years ago and did a great job with valves and slides that had developed leaks. Whether he still does such work or not I do not know. He may be totally involved with new horn construction today.

It may be worth giving him a call.
    He has a website you can find through a search engine.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

3. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    He's not in Longwood anymore. He's in Tennessee. Do not send him your horn unless you don't want to see it for a VERY long time. He's had my cornet for almost 3 years now. I want it back too, but he hasn't returned my calls...

Other than that, he does great work.

Jon

4. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Not far from Florida is Atlanta -- Rich Ita specializes in vintage instrument restoration, and he's a heck of a nice guy to work with...

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com

Best of Luck,

Paul Poovey

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks to all you guys. I'll look into Paul Poovey in Atlanta when I get up there. There must be someone great in one of the big Florida cities, perhaps there will be other responses to my question.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Crow.... I think you'd better look up Rich Ita! LOL. :D (Although I'm sure Paul wouldn't mind a visit neither!)

Here's Rich's website with some a few of examples of his repairwork (looks like the website is under rebuild but you can still get examples of costing).

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    IS THERE NO ONE IN FLORIDA AS GOOD AS ITA? IF NOT I'LL MAKE THE TRIP, AND LOOK AT THE R.A.T. JAZZ MUSIC STAND WHILE I'M THERE (not at Ita's). I think I'll post a new thread to see if anyone has one........thanks to all.