Flow studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Youri le god, May 5, 2005.

1. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi all,

What's the deal with flow studies? what are they used for. I got a set of free flow studies off the internet and played through them while practising. How are you supposed to approach them? There are very long phrase marks on them also, should I be playing these phrases in one breath?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, i've just never come across these kinds of studies before.

Cheers
    Youri

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Youri,

Not a stupid question in the least.

The term was coined by Vince Cichowicz, formerly the great second trumpeter with the Chicago Symphony. He found that trumpeters had a problem with connecting sounds equally from one note to the next in a slurring context and also a tongued one. He used diatonic slurred studies to increase players sense of treating all notes the same. He used the flow studies to help eliminate breaks in the embuchure, as well. The flow aspect of it refers to musical flow and physical flow.

It has come to the point where you can identify Northwestern students (Cichowizc made his fame as a teacher there) by the fact that many of them play the "Northwestern National Anthem", a Cichowicz flow study that is the first one you learn from him after you'd enter his studio.

Virtually any stepwise, slurred study can be a "flow study". The key is how you use it to better your playing.

ML

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    In a post some while ago on the TH David Hickman said that he uses flow studies in much the same way as a player would use long tones in their routine. Manny, do you see this as a useful way of applying flow studies?

Regards,

Trevor

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, in this question I very much agree with Hickman's use of the flow study. For someone who has a sound that comes easily, the flowing, slurred groups of notes are a nice change from the long tones. I genrally start with a nice low C and try to get the room to shake a bit. I ascend, descend, and crawl around using the principle of note connection the flow studies intend.

If my little dog, Lucky, starts howling along with me I know my sound is resonating! He won't leave; he'll sit there and do the primal thing along with me.

He's a Bichon Frise but that's another thread.

ML

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I also have a copy of the Flow Studies and I use them a lot. They are a compliation of flowing etudes from a variety of method books. I also like them for making sure there is as little movement as possible with my chops as I ascend and descend.

So Manny, how did you manage to get "Lucky?"

;-)

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Excellent.. :-)

I did a rehearsal with a brass quintet recently at the home of the quintet's french horn player. We played an arrangement of the Rondo from Mozarts 4th, accompanied by the family dog howling in the hall! Stayed quiet for all other pieces except the horn feature!

Anyway, back on topic.. Flow Studies, can someone point me in the direction of an appropriate book, or can I use existing study books and apply the concept??

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    My copy of the Chichowicz Flow Studies was given to me a few years ago by one of his students. I have heard that this particular culmination is now available through a publisher, but I don't know for sure. The problem we run into with this, is that these are all photocopied from other copyrighted method books. Vince apparently put this together years ago. I think the only original work of Vince's is the "Northwestern National Anthem" which is found on page one.

What do you all think? Is it kosher to make a copy of my copy of the Flow Studies to send out to people, or are we treading on thin ice here?

Mike

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The fact of the matter is that we all have these studies in our collections of books. All they did was compile them into a handy compendium. The compendium is handed out to NW. students as a course material. If you don't go charging anyone for the material, I don't see a hugs problem. I'm sure the legal eagles on the boards will be clearer or disagree. Either way, you can probably get it through some mole over at NW.

ML

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The compilation of studies is available thru Tulsamusic.com

The book is inexpensive and there is some very good material.

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Thanks,

That's good to know as my copyofacopyofacopy is wearing out.....

;-)