Flow Studies....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trjeam, Jan 16, 2006.

1. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I was wondering if anyone could help me find flow studies. I already know about the eddie lewis flow studies online but are their any others?

These are the books that i own:

Clarke Technical Studies (I use these for flow studies already)
    Clarke Characteristic Studies
    Arban
    Saint Jacome
    Claude Gordon Systematic Approach
    Claude Gordon Brass Playing Is No Harder Then Deep Breathing
    Collin Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    Walter M. Smith Lip Flexibility book
    Balanced Embouchure
    Jimmy Maxwell The First Trumpeter

And I think that's all.. but if any of those have any good flow studies please guide me to them because I can't seem to find any (or even turning exercises into flow studies).

Also I know that the Cat Anderson book is on the net, does that have any good flow studies and long tone studies?

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think they are finally avaliable to buy in the chicowitz book , not sure where you can buy it.

But I found this online: http://www.geocities.com/marty_seshul/range - They are the chicowitz flow studies, but in only one key and labeled for "range" which i dont agree with that much. I use the for warm up and fundamental practice.

Each of those lines needs to be transposed. Start on G and go down by half steps. I go down to start on low C and end on pedal F.

There are a few ways to practice them. Soft the whole time, Loud all the time. Cresendo to the top, and decrecsendo to the top. Each way has different effects for you. I have recently been using the decresendo to the top, which improves responce and eveness throughout the registers, and it has helped so far.

You might be able to find more online, but thats all i found in 30 seconds googling.

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Tulsa Music, which has an ad here www.tulsaband.com carries the Chichowicz Book "flow studies". Its a compilation of studies from many method books. Its a great buy at $14.00

4. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    my teacher and I were working of a book by a guy named "wildes".. all i can remember is that last name. the book had lots of flow studies and some buzzing in the begning.. anyone ever heard of this book?

5. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
  6. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    humm those exercises look exactly like what I was doing at my lesson today.... maybe we were working of that chicowitz book..

7. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I've got a book of flow studies by Charles Daval...well a copy of one anyway. They are required materials for our studio here at Penn State...I'm not sure if the books are in print or not. You might want to check that out.

Flow studies are an incredible way to work on your playing, in my opinion. Since I have been working on them, almost every aspect of my playing has improved. Playing with "flow" automatically solves many of the problems experienced by most players...it's revolutionized my playing. I swear by them.

Good luck!!

Louie