flugal and trumpet question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vann, May 8, 2011.

1. vann

vann New Friend

May 4, 2011
    Hi, wanted to know if the high register on a flugal is alittle easier to hit ?

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Nope. In general, your range moves with you, not the instrument. Flugelhorns have a tendency to be a bit more pitchy (i.e. out of tune) in the upper register, but if you can't play a given upper register note consistently on your trumpet, you won't have an easier time on the flugel.

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    That's a tough call because although the cup depth of the mouthpiece will make high notes harder to play and decidedly flat, the flugelhorn's smaller bore can make getting there a little easier. Kind of a wash but, it depends on the player.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I disagree.

A shallower cup and/or smaller bore instrument will not increase your range.

Only regular practice will do that.

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I seem to be in the minority on this one. Both my flugel and cornet are easier for me to play in the high range. The added resistance of the trumpet is probably the cause of this.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no - a flugle is a flugle - and that is not a bugle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find it too easy to play the higher range, and have to practice harder at maintaining tight control in the higher range. Of note, the size of the mouthpiece is not a factor here, as I use a Schilke 14A4a on my trumpet and a Getzen 3C on the flugel which is a very (compared to a 4a Schilke) deep cup. But on my flugel, this mouthpiece is very comfortable. So much so that my upper range is effortless to reach.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Due to the bell of a flugel being too big for optimal focus, I find trumpets easier to play up high. The notes are there on the flugel but pretty "secondary" overall.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    my trumpet range has always exceeded my flugal range ... but I don't think I ever felt the need to try to play exceedingly high on the flugel ...never had any music that called for it .. or jazz solos where it would have added any value

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Absolutely! While you can get to a high C relatively easy on a trumpet, getting there on a flugel is much more difficult. And this is influenced by your choice in mouthpieces as well. BTW, anything much above an A above the staff is not where a flugelhorn sounds best.