Flugel fixer??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mfan, Jan 17, 2004.

1. mfan

mfan New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    San Diego
    My jazz flugel plays a little flat when the first valve is down. From lower to upper register any first valve note is flat. I'm thinking that maybe I could have a little bit of metal taken off of the slide reciever to shorten the slide a bit, thus bringing up the pitch. Does anyone else have any ideas or reccomendations of where to send my horn? Thanks for the help!
    -Collin

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    before you go cutting you better put it on a meter and see how its gonna affect your 1&3 ds and stuff like that

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You didn't saw what brand of flugel it is (some are known for intonation problems, others aren't), how bad the intonation problem is, nor what the effect of changing mouthpiece might be. Pretty hard to recommend "go ahead and cut" without knowing what tests you've done, whether or not the problem "is the nature of the beast", nor what other diagnostics have been completed! I don't think I'd be trying this myself (unless I were in the process of making a lamp out of the thing) without THOROUGHLY researching the problem. Once you've cut, there's no return.

Edit: (sort of like neutering your dog!)

4. mfan

mfan New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    San Diego
    flugel fix

It is a Callet "jazz" flugel. As far as tuning goes everything using that first valve is flat. And according to my tuner it's almost the same amount throughout the registers. This goes for my Bach mouthpiece, the Callet piece, and my NorthernBrass mouthpieces. So I'm pretty sure it's not the mouthpiece. And it is only on the first valve. The open tuning on the horn is just beautiful. This horn is definately NOT lamp material. Does anybody know anygbody I can consult about this kind of problem? Do the guys at Eclipse do work like this? Maybe Bob Reeves?
    -Collin

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Collin, if I were you, I'd be getting in touch with Bruce Lee at Northern Brass. I'll bet he could fix you up pretty quick! You'll find him as the moderator of the "Callet" forum (funny about that!) (Send him a private message)

6. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    I had a similar problem with my flugel. I was using a Callet 10 FL mp and tried a Callet 7FL. Seemed to cure the problem. I always found the low E to be the worst note. Might try one of the NB mouthpieces tho. I have heard alot of good things about them.
    Alan

7. David

David New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    Think - if you cut you will affect all 1st valve combinations too - 1-2, 1-3, 1-2-3 . . .