Flugel problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, May 17, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I have problem with flugel, as leadpipe goes directly into 1st valve all the spit and moist accumulates in the valves thus making them sticky. Spit valve is after valves, unlike tpt where spit valve is before valves thus you can drenage it before it reaches valves. But on flugel you cant do that

what to do?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Frank,

All flugel (as far as I know) are built that way, even the few ones built with a trumpet style tuning slide like

1. NYTC Broadway Flugelhorn

[​IMG]

2. Possegger:

[​IMG]

3. They maybe others with a similar to the above design

4. Most rotary trumpets also have the leadpipe going to the 1st valve.

All the above means that your flugel must have some other problem than solely the leadpipe going into the first valve. Please give us more details - brand, model, when the problem started to happen - form day 1 or later.

All moist/condensation caught in the valves should normally drop through the bottom valve cap holes. If I was you, I would remove the 1 piston slide and try to drain the moist out of there. If that slide cannot be removed easily for any reason (not moving or having a sprung trigger installed) you can do that by removing the second valve slide.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maintain your horn and clean it out on a regular basis. Problem solved.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    nothing ever come from that hole.

its brand new flugel (pro model) it cannot have issues IMO

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Please state brand and model. Some people may have experience with the same or similar model. Be aware that eastern makers often label their top end models as "professional" but they are of average/intermediate quality at best. Example: Cornet / Flugelhorn | J.Michael

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    model is Roy Benson FL302G (maybe FL203G, I cannot tell as I'm at work ATM)

exact copy of yamaha, it has trigger (therefore I know its pro, and a lot of red brass)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Your flugelhorn, marketed as pro, is priced at student horn level. But whatever, it is not the design of your horn, but rather the cleanliness of your valves, and/or possibly their construction, which is causing the problem. If you have a 1st valve water key as the one's I have seen do, then you should be able to drain it that way. But saliva/condensation are not in themselves going to make your valves stick, unless you are drinking sugary bevarages and then playing. If you have a clean mouth, and good oiling on your valves, sticking should not be a problem.

I suggest you give the valves a thorough cleaning, letting them dry and then oiling again with a good quality valve oil.

veery

8. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Having a trigger doesn't make it a pro. Roy Benson instruments are made in china as far as I know. I never played their flugels, but what I have wrote above about some other eastern brass instruments applies to them as well. Trickg is right - if anything, you can check if the instruments is clean, though I can hardly imagine that this can be the only cause for your troubles. Many Chinese and Taiwanese flugelhorns are labeled Pro/professional and have a sprung trigger on the 3rd valve, but that doesn't make them perfrom as a real professional flugelhorn such as many yamahas, selmers, courtois, leblanc, the above mentioned (look the pics) etc.

Anyway, a good cleaning may not solve your problems, but sure it won't do any harm either.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Any new horn needs a bit of time to break the valves in and get them working properly, and it's also going to need to be cleaned and the valve casings swabbed out a couple of times during that break in phase.

I didn't realize the horn was Chinese made - your problems may have to do with the valves themselves and might not have anything to do with cleanliness or condensation in the valve and valve casing.

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    right after I clean it valves behave perfectly, but after a day or two the sticking start. I play everyday, and clean once -twice a week.

Should I clean daily?