Flugelhorn: Bach Stradivarius VS Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JMesh, Mar 25, 2005.

1. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    I am looking now for a good quality and good sounding flugelhorn. I am looking for recomendations as to which brand I should get and why, and also if there is a particular model I should look for. Some things to keep in mind when recommending one for me:
    I do a lot of heavy intense playing.
    I use a gig bag (well protected), not a case.
    I have to take the bus every day, so the horn must be durable.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I would rather dent a Bach Flugel in a gig bag than a Yamaha :lol:

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Eclipse :D

Of the two you listed (Yamaha or Bach) I preferred one of the Yamaha models, I just can't remember which :oops:

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have owned both a Bach and several Yamahas. The 731 was nice, but not great. It played well in tune, but I had valve problems with it. My big complaint was that it never produced the sound I wanted.

The Bach I owned was the best Bach Flugelhorn ever built and I'm happy to say that it was sold to a young music minister who is putting it to good use! I loved that horn! It had great valves, was NEVER in the shop for anything, and was warm and had great intonation. I would have kept it but.........

......I currently play a Kanstul ZKF 1525 which is an amazing instrument. It slots better than any horn I have ever played, and the intonation qualities are amazing. The best thing is the rich dark beautiful tone quality which this horn produces that the Yamahas and Bach could never match.

Dollar for dollar I say go Kanstul ZKF 1525. You will never look back and wonder if you made the right decision!!!

5. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I currently play a Bach student line flugel I have had for about 15 years. It is not bad, but it is not nearly as dark as I would like. I have played the Vintage One and think it sounds great. I have a buddy with the Jupiter rose belled flugel which also sounds very good. I have tried on Strad and did not find the tone to be very good. It could just be a fluke. The music store said that no one liked it so they sent it back. I have also heard some Yamahas and Getzens that sounded pretty good as well.

I guess I am also looking for some advice, specifically on dark sounding flugels. Are large bores a plus or negative on flugel? What about vertical slides versus horizontal slides?

Right now I am leaning towards a Vintage One, but would like to try the Kanstul 1525.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Do you live anywhere near Lafayette, Louisiana? You are more than welcome to come try mine anytime!

7. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson

Thanks for the offer, but I am up near Ames, Iowa. And I don't see a trip south anytime soon.

8. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. They seem to be great horns. My only problem is that I am looking for something under $3500 Canadian. Contrary to what I said, I am open to most models, they just have to be of very high quality (Strad, eclipse, of Yamaha Xeno level) to stand up to my playing.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    ...Hmmm -- wondering ... just how hard do you play, man ?

... dunno if anyone makes an industrial-strength fluegelhorn ...(?)

Robert Rowe

10. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    Another Brand?

Someone sent me a private message about the brand Hub Van Laar made here in my province. Has anyone heard of these and what are they like?