Flugelhorn chat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ian simkins, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ian simkins

ian simkins New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    united kingdom
    Hi there,i am a newish member based in the UK. I started to play again after a sabbatical of 35 years ! Loving every minute of it. I kick myself everyday for not continuing after i left school ! I own a Coueson Flugel that my farther (proffesional double bass player for 50 years and still gigging at the age of 82 ! ) bought for me from a jazz trumpet player in 1969. I have just had it re plated and overhauled looks pretty good now. I junked the mouthpiece that came with it which was a really small Courtois effort and replaced it with a Bobby Shew Marcinkiewicz piece. This for me made a big difference in terms of sound and playability . I also have aquired a Dennis Wick 4F the other day and wow the sound is really mellow and big ,just great for the brass band i play in. The only down side is the lack of range A above the stave for any length of time can get hard work. I class myself as an intermediate player . I take lessons from a great guy who is a serving member in the Royal Marines Band and who takes lessons from the great Derek Watkins . So my question is given my current abilities can anyone recomend a piece that is somewhere between these two very good mouthpieces . I guess practise makes perfect !

Happy new year to you all

Best regards Ian Simkins

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hi, and welcome!

Since you mention Denis Wick, you should give his 4BFL (or RW4FL) a try.
    I used to use the RW4FL, but changed to 4BFL, which has a more "cornetish" cup.
    This helps me when playing on top of the stave, both on my -38 Couesnon and -06 Conn Vintage 1,
    and it gives the right BB sound.

I haven't tried "excotic" pieces as Marcinkiewicz and alike yet, but a "ML" size flugel pice
    from Taylor is soon arriving.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    My opinion is that Brass Band flugels are not meant to go anywhere above high C (above the staff). So A sounds quite reasonable to me. BFL mouthpieces are probably good compromise. You should also try the Warburton screw-on-rim system - changing the backbore in addition to the shalowwer cup may help as well. If you have a friend that has any other mouthpieces that you can try like curry, yamaha, sparx etc it would be helpful to give them a go.

Ultimately, practice is the best way to go. Different mouthpiece may help your endurance, but range does not change with the mouthpiece.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. ian simkins

ian simkins New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    united kingdom
    Many thanks for the info. Does the Wick 4BFL come in a suitable French/Coueson taper ?

Best regards, happy new year.

Ian Simkins .

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    It has the same shank as the 4FL, so if this fits, the 4BFL will fit too.