Flugelhorn choice (AC154R / YFH 8315G / YFH 8310Z)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mariopn, Dec 8, 2016.

1. mariopn

mariopn New Friend

Dec 8, 2016
    Hi!
    I’m planning to buy a new flugelhorn, with a round sound.
    Courtois 154R (1) / Yamaha YFH 8315G / Yamaha YFH 8310Z Bobby Shew
    Which one of these three instruments do you recommend me?
    Thanks!

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    I recommend you go to a music store and try all of them out yourself!
    AND from there, you choose which one you like. On this website is a good place to listen to other player's opinions and etc.

Everyone is different so a horn I might like, may not fit in with you and same applies to everyone in the world.
    So play safe by going to the music/horn shop and try them out! Have fun and good luck!

Welcome to the world of flugelhorns!

3. fels

fels Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I can't speak to a comparison of your choices - but i do play a Courtois 154 (not R). Purchcased used on Craigslist. Older - Serial 16957.

I have not played the Yamahas.

But - i have played several solo features (I remember Clifford - Its a Hard Town - Darn That Dream ) in concert and found the Courtois very responsive. Warm tones - perhaps a little brittle up in the staff. It is not the "end all" flugel for me .. but is very responsive and tuneful.

4. mariopn

mariopn New Friend

Dec 8, 2016
    Thanks!

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Look into multiple makes if you can. Try to never limit yourself!

Outside of the ones you mentioned, there are many "favorites" out there. I'll include only modern makers for now...vintage is a completely different beast.

-Kanstul (the 1525 gets the most attention, but they're all made well).
    - Adams. F1 through F5
    - Bach
    - Schilke
    -Getzen
    Most of this first group are within the $2500 - 3500 range from what I remember.

There are so many more, so do some looking around if you're able!

Kujo

6. Comet1995

Comet1995 Pianissimo User

Aug 4, 2014
    Liberty MO
    I recommend the carolbrass 7200 Legend model Flugelhorn. Extremely sound construction, intonation and playability. I've had mine for about 6 months now and I actually sold off my yamaha because I liked it so much.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Another great option. Carol Brass makes very nice instruments and the price point is hard to beat.

8. mariopn

mariopn New Friend

Dec 8, 2016
    Thanks! I agree.
    The problem is I don’t have a big store near me to test a variety of good instruments… The possibilities to try are few.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Of the three flugelhorns you list I have only played the Bobby Shew model, and though it was nice I found it still a bit too much on the "trumpety" side rather than "flugelly" for my liking.

A few TMers responded very helpfully when I started a thread about flugelhorns a while ago. Maybe in there you will find some advice which suits you:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/nice-flugelhorn-75096.html

--bumblebee

10. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I would vote for the AC154! They are unique in routing the valve body. The air column goes through the valves in a perfectly straight line unlike every other horn where the column zig zags through the valves. This results in a real smooth transition between differently fingered notes.