Flugelhorn Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Suuuuuuure! Now that you've riled the G-man, it's suck up time!!! ROFL I have no doubt they are good horns.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Waz teezin.

3. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    What flugel in a student budget do you recommend?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If playing jazz, I'd suggest the four-valve Getzen Eterna, some of the Yamaha student models have a great sound.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Jupiter for great and "cheap".

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I LOVE the 4-valve Getzen Eterna. That IS my backup horn. Rowuk uses this horn, as does TrumpetMD. So you know its in good hands. If you click on to the old EBQ website, you can hear the 4-valve Getzen flugelhorn in action as I played this horn for that website's audio. Eddie Brookshire Quintet

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I picked up my Olds L-12 for less than 400, I'm going to add an aftermarket leadpipe on it, which won't add much to the price, and the ones I've played sound phenomenal. Like Toby said the Jupiter is really good. What is your student budget?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    An L-12 at that price is awesome!! Hard to find though. "Story " is that so an so copied Old's and then so an so copied so an so, then Jupiter copied so an so. So, one might say Jupiter is a "descendant " of the Olds. ;)

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played rented an early Jupiter for some kiddie concerts where I played one tune on Flugelhorn. The valves started sticking, first the third valve, but when the second valve froze, I put it down and grabbed my trumpet. I shure hope Jupiter valves have gotten better; they have a good blow and pretty good sound.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yeah, it looks like junk, some of the pipes needed to be flared out to seal but it sounds and plays great. Olds copied the Counenson if I remember rightly. I really do love this horn, but the tuning can get really scary, hence the need for the aftermarket leadpipe. After I bought mine, another popped up on TH for a little bit more. They come and go. I saw a Benge recently for 800, you can also find a Yamaha 631 for about that price as well.

1970's Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn: Trumpet Herald - placed Mar. 1, 2013 by 'SAnderson' in Cornets and Flugelhorns

Yamaha 631: Trumpet Herald - placed Mar. 2, 2013 by 'Tomcat' in Cornets and Flugelhorns

I also spy a few Counensons on Feebay

http://tempestmusicalinstruments.com/en/clarinets.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=92&category_id=31

This is a copy of a Yamaha 631, not a bad horn. But once again, it all comes down to price, and sound concept. Do you want a French sound? A German sound? American?