Flugelhorn Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    They've been revamped over the past few years. I wouldn't consider them top of the line (Sorry Toby) but they are well built and sound really good. If you are on a budget but want a good flugel, Jupiter is the way to go.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't have or play a flugel yet (wish I did), but I'm noting the mouthpiece receiver on your Zeus has a clamp vis there is an adjustment at that point. Also, most tuners reflect C instrumentation thus a Bb instrument 1st space F would read as an Eb on such a tuner or in comparative to a piano (assuming the piano is in tune as IMO few are). Too, there is a variation in our hearing both physiological and in practice spaces including ones placement in the latter.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    2005 is a good rule of thumb for Jupiters as far as reliability goes. The valves are monel and do seem to need a little more attention than some of my other horns. The tolerances are tight and I have to use Hetman's #1. As far as the sound, it's as good as any flugel I've played. The guy I bought it from wants "refusal rights" should I decide to sell. Told him sure, but there isn't a chance of that really happening. There are more expensive flugels, but none that I've found (yet) that sound better.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for your helping the OP DaTrump... The $650 for the Getzen Eterna is the same price range I have been following on BrassReview. I too have the 70's vintage horn. The valves on this horn are fabulous. I have NEVER had intonation issues with the 4-valve Getzen. It truly has better intonation than my Kanstul... You will read of intornation issues with the 3 valve horn... but the 4-valve horn is spot on intonation wise, had lightening fast valves, and is the 0.460 bore that the OP has on his current horn, making it a very easy blowing, flexible horn.

5. Shofarguy

Shofarguy Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2009
    East of Phoenix Arizona
    Are you sure you are using the right mouthpiece taper for your horn? There are three commonly in use in the US. You might check Kanstul's or Flip Oakes' websites to see what taper you should be using.

Brian

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    +1. Fabulous horns. 1525 or 1526 is the top of the line. Great sound, spot on intonation. Gorgeous.

7. trumpflugel

trumpflugel New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Texas
    Buy a Yamaha 635st. I have no problems with it.