Flugelhorn hook re-soldering?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rinconcito, Dec 21, 2013.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    You would have to take it off first.

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find the hook just gets in the way. I had my Kanstul specially made to eliminate the hook:
    [​IMG]

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you use regular low temp solder, the hook will break again. If you don't replace it with a new one, you should silver braze it together so it is permanent. Silver brazing can also be done on brass so it is virtually invisible. Any tech should be able to do the job.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Weell, you could just play without one... only time you really need a pinky ring is when you are using mutes. And I have never seen anyone distorting a flugel's pure sound with a mute. Rotary trumpets habitually come without pinky rings or hooks or whatever... so I would suggest that you play the horn as it is. Might iumprove your fingering, too - because the pinky won't hinder the free movement of the other fingers. I'm a case in point: Usually, I have my pinky inside the ring; but whenever I have to do some really intricate fingering, I slip the pinky out...

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

That's cheating... which finger would you hook into the pinky ring with a four-valve flugel? Or are you one of those people medical science experimented upon, giving them six fingers per hand?

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I'd stick a little rubber end cap on what's left and call it a day then.
    Soldering that piece on won't really work. It's a high stress point and it will break off again and again.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I thought the same thing and was wierded out when I found Kanstul makes their four valve with a pinky ring. Then I saw a video of an artist and watched him rest the 5th digit in the pinky ring and play the fourth valve with his left hand index finger. Not me.:noway: I am a one handed player. Gotta keep the other hand free when I play two horns at the same time.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Funny you should mention this. In medicine we use ICD-10 codes for billing. The are 5 digits in length. I always thought they should have had the code for billing polydactyly (having an extra finger) as 6 digits. As for me, all my medical diagnoses only require 5 digits.

10. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    I can try to just remove it first. I know it will take off very easily with just some gas solder but how do you remove the tin under it? With flux?

Thanks, guys!!