Flugelhorn Question

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rupren, Jul 15, 2005.

1. rupren

rupren New Friend

Mar 10, 2005
    After playing cornet a couple of years in high school and subsequently percussion for 30+ years I recently picked up the trumpet again to play purely for my pleasure. I would like to get a flugelhorn and given I don't have professional aspirations I would like a reasonable priced but solid instrument. Any opinions on this Bach flugelhorn which the seller thinks is a FH200? What would be a reasonable price? Anyother flugelhorn recommendations? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336627534&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEBI:IT&rd=1

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My advice to you would be to find a used Yamaha YHF 631. If you can find a good deal on a used one and run it by a tech to check the valves and get it cleaned up, that's a great bang for the buck for a sweet, dark sounding, nice playing flugel.

Otherwise, about as low as I would go looking into getting something new would be a Jupiter 846. It seems that there are a lot of people that really like them, they aren't too terribly expensive, and they are supposed to be a clone of the Yamaha 631.

The Bach in the ebay add looks to be a student model, but I really don't know much about it.

Personally, I play tested a number of different flugels to include:
    Yamaha 631 G
    Yamaha 631
    Jupiter 846
    Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
    Kanstul Custom Class 925
    Kanstul Chicago in silver
    Kanstul Chicago in laquer
    Bach Strad

Out of all of them, I picked the Kanstul CCF 925 (Custom Class) It played and sounded great, but it might be outside of the amount of money you want to spend - I paid roughly $1100 for mine.

Out of curiosity, what is your budget for this purchase?

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I played a friends Benge the other day. It had a bell on it with very little flair and it was the sweetest sound I've ever heard from a flugel.

Has anyone else experienced this horn?

4. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I recently switched from the Bach student model to the Getzen 4-valved Eterna. I had played a Strad, which played nice, but sounded terrible. To make sure it was not just me I had a couple of friends try it and they had the same opinion. I was set on a Kanstul 1525, but when I went to get it the store had this Getzen, so I tried it as well. The Getzen has a little richer tone than the Kanstul, but is more awkward to hold with the 4 valves. Also, with no 3rd trigger the third and first valve slides need to be tuned before you start playing. In the end I went with the Getzen because it seemed to have a heavier bell. Now if I could just find a way to get a trigger on that 3rd valve anyway.