flugelhorn question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decentplayer, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    What is the difference between a flugelhorn that has a 3rd slide trigger and one that doesn't?? Also, are rotary valve flugelhorns any good??

2. PSH

PSH Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2007
    Minneapolis MN; Denton TX
    the trigger serves the same function as the 3rd slide finger ring on a trumpet. so the difference is that Ds and C#s on a flugel with a trigger will play in tune. I have no info on rotary valve horns...perhaps someone else can chime in?

~PSH

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

If you plan to purchase a flugelhorn (new or used), the 3rd valve slide in definite plus. Most people try to purchase a horn with the slide for fine tuning. You won't be sorry if you do, but you probably will be if you don't.

I have never played a rotary, but others on this site have.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    A trigger means you can adjust the 3rd slide. No trigger, obviously means it's fixed during play.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a flugel without a 3rd valve trigger. You just have to lip the low C# and D into tune. If you listen as you play, it isn't very hard to do on a large conical-bore instrument with a deep conical mouthpiece. Of course, having a trigger is better.

6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    A thirde slide trigger is standard on my rotary flugels, as most makers, such as Thein Brothers.
    In addition, a first slide trigger could be added.

7. wlrube

wlrube New Friend

Apr 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    You can get a 3rd slide trigger added at any good brass repair place. It's not that expensive a modification, and it makes things a lot easier.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The type of valve is insignificant. There is as much rotary quality and trash as with piston trumpets. Whatever axe that you are looking for, you need to play before you pay.
    Rotary flugels can be AWESOME.

9. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well, it could be matter for other thread, but you know that the market rotary trumpets & flugels is so concrete, and new makers are not welcome. That makes that new makers must do things really well.
    Also, in Germany -the main market of rotaries- is mandatory to be in possesion of the Master Maker Diploma (MusikInstrumenteBauerMeister) to open a new facilities.
    Proportionally, there is much less trash in rotary instruments than perinet.
    Anyway, take care. China is everywhere.
    My valve pistons are made by Getzen, but I asked a famous English maker and he offered to sell piston valves wich are made in China...
    Excuse me, but I will not tell you the brand-name.

BTW I must say that I don't find so many troubbles to play in tune with a flugel than in a trumpet. Maybe it's only my feel.

Best regards !!!

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008