Flugelhorn questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Furgilp, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Furgilp

Furgilp New Friend

Aug 22, 2015
    (This is my first post and I'm not 100% sure if it's in the right spot.)
    Hello, I quickly new to the flugel game and had some questions as I have never owned one.

1. Is the 3rd valve trigger something worth paying a lot more money for?
    2. If so is it possible to add this to a horn that currently doesn't have one? (A general cost of this would be helpful)
    3. Is there a good place to find used flugelhorns?
    The store that was my favorite because of great deals (not to mention nice and knowledgeable people) was a place in NC called Marsh Woodwinds. Unfortunately I was informed that it recently closed. I was wondering if anybody knew of another place in NC that was anything close to what Marsh Woodwinds used to be, or of a good method to find used instruments.

Sorry for posting multiple questions under one thread but I would love some guidance and tips to getting a Flugelhorn.
    (Sorry again if this is in the wrong spot. I can mover it if requested)

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcom to TrumpetMaster, Furgilp!

Yes, a 3rd valve trigger is worth the money (but I don't think it will cost you "a lot more money".

2. If so is it possible to add this to a horn that currently doesn't have one? (A general cost of this would be helpful)
    Maybe Ivan or one of the other hardware guys will chime in with a more accurate answer. I'd guess maybe $50 to $100.

Assuming you're in the Raleigh area, Chuck Levins is a 5-hour drive north, in Silver Spring, Maryland. Maybe others know of stores closer to you that have a good supply of flugelhorns.

Mike

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Normally for a retrofit the most cost effective solution to use an existing trigger setup. One particular assembly would cost you around $80. Then it needs to be installed. The whole instrument needs to be checked for dirt or other buildup, then the third slide needs to be checked for parallel and alignment (you are asking more of this slide than the manufacturer designed), then the trigger needs to be soldered into place. These are too many variables to allow any estimates without seeing the horn.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mike, if you can drive from Raleigh NC to Silver Spring MD in 5 hours, let me count the traffic summons you've been issued in route. I sit almost at the VA border just off I-95 and with my wife behind the wheel and her pedal to the floor on May 13, 2015 it took nearly 5 hours and 45 minutes for us to get to our son in law's funeral on University Blvd and that's via the I-495 Beltway by-pass around DC. From this connective point Northward we're an additional hour and a half to Raleigh's Wake-Med hospital Heart Center, where I've been driven more times than I would like. In fact, at sometime Wednesday, August 26, 2015 I'll slide by Silver Spring and on up 70 to Hagerstown MD thence Westward on I-68 to Westover WV where I'll take I-79 South to Fairmont and then U.S. 19 South to my cut-off. On September 1, 2015 I must be in the Pittsburgh PA area at 1:00 PM for as short a time as possible, thence I can saunter home at my leisure. You do know that the DC metropolitan are was once my stomping ground. I've lived in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties in MD , and in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax and Prince William Counties in VA

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Ed. I used to drive this route all the time back in college. Maybe my memory is failing me. Or maybe there's more traffic nowadays But I think it's only about 300 miles.

Mike

6. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Hard to make a blanket statement from my limited perspective, but I'd say it depends on the type of music you are playing, and whether you're in ensemble or solo. In my German band work with the flugel, a third slide would not be a help, but again, this is from a specific use and viewpoint.

I've had two rather nice horns in the $1000 range, both without triggers.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe 300 miles the way a crow flies, but from our house to Raleigh-Durham airport is 136 miles plus 2 hours and 15 minutes to clear luggage at Reagan National Airport and then from there via Metro to Silver Spring another 45 minutes to an hour. You might check with AAA as may have statistics on the increase of traffic along these routes. I've driven here to our present home via U.S 1 before I-95 was built. I've even done it from PG County MD via U.S. 301 All I can say is leaving Prince William County VA, I-95 now becomes 8 lanes, 4 in each direction. I've known it to take 4 hours to get from Alexandria VA to the Potomac Mall exit

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Flugels tend to have far more intonation issues than trumpets. A 3rd trigger is probably a smart idea. The Kanstul 1525 is one of the most in tune flugels I have ever played (haven't played a ton) - fabulous and expensive) horn- certainly in the top tier- and yes, a trigger is even needed on it.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The Courtois 154R is the best flugel I've ever played (and I've tried out a few!); comes with a trigger already installed, but you don't need it much on that one. Same with the Jupiter 846 - that one plays way above its price tag!

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Yes, It is for the intonation, My Roy Benson flugel has one but my Blessing from the 70's doesn't have one.
    But I might install one later on the year.
    Well, I bought for my jazz band in school. I sometimes used it in gigs and solos. But great horn to add in the collection.
    I bought my Roy Benson which is a Yamaha stencil from Amazon.
    Or you can go for the great Trent Austin Custom Brass Doubler's Flugel.
    I highly recommend the Doubler's Flugel.