Flugelhorn questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Furgilp, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    That's interesting. For how long did you play this flugel?

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I tried the stencil and heard great recommendations from folks and reviews.
    I am quite enjoying TM's ignore list, life is much better with it.

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Late again, further no comment.
    BTW read your answer on OP's second question one more time and try to explain it.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    There are some cost-effective solutions out there, AMI makes some good ones. The third trigger is worth it, though you don't have to pay a lot for a horn with one, it's best to have one which the factory installed.

Where are you in North Carolina?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'll take a stab at this, even though it doesn't appear that the OP has returned to check on the status of the thread they created.

1. Is the 3rd valve trigger something worth paying a lot more money for?
    From my perspective, the 3rd trigger option isn't "a lot" of money - maybe an extra $100. Having used flugels with and without the 3rd valve trigger, it's something I have on my current flugel, and it's definitely something I'd make sure to have on any flugelhorns I buy in the future. As others have mentioned, flugels have a lot of inherent intonation quirks, so having that 3rd valve slide trigger gives you some additional flexibility for correction.

2. If so is it possible to add this to a horn that currently doesn't have one? (A general cost of this would be helpful)
    The simple answer is yes, a trigger can be added. Almost anything within reason "can" be done with brass modification and repair - the question then becomes one of whether or not it should be done. IMO it's easier to get a horn with the trigger pre-installed than to try to go about having one added. Brass techs, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't the heat of soldering destroy the lacquer around the solder joint on a lacquered instrument?

3. Is there a good place to find used flugelhorns?
    Right now if I were to look for used flugels, I'd probably check Austin Custom Brass first, and for the reason that Trent Austin vets the instruments he brings through his shop. I suppose it depends on your budget - if your budget is tight, a used Yamaha 631 is a good bet, but another horn that is definitely worth looking at IMO is the Austin Custom Brass ACB Doubler flugelhorn. This thing is a great copy of the Yamaha 631, and it was perfect for me when I needed to get into another flugelhorn. It's a great price, and you get a very nice playing, solid flugelhorn for the money. It's not fancy, and you probably won't get much resale out of it, but if your main reason for having one is to double on the occasional ballad, which is how I use mine, it's perfect. On the other hand, if you think that flugel is going to be a primary instrument for you, by all means, look toward something else, but flugels are like any other instrument - the higher in quality you go and the bigger name you choose, the more you are going to pay.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Depends on the wrap of the slides. With a conventional flugel wrap, where the third slide points vertically down, the trigger for me would be a must.

But not all flugels have that wrap. This one's supposed to be quite good.

[​IMG]

7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I posted earlier. Via Mr. gordonfurr, who graciously gave me this horn, I have in my possession an Andalucía Musical Instruments (Brass Wind) Xpresión SE flügelhorn. In short, it's a beautiful instrument and plays extremely in tune from E below the staff to G an octave above the staff. The trigger comes into play for Eb/D/Db and down. Small bore horn plays very open. Very dark sound, the mouthpiece supplied does everything I want it to do and I haven't felt a need to want to swap it with another. I was just fooling around in a parking lot playing one day whilst awaiting my fiancée's arrival and the people walking into the store were commenting on "the guy playing a trumpet [sic] out in the parking lot" and how good it sounded, and I'm far from being a "good" player, having a decent instrument certainly helps.

I have their rotary Pasión flügelhorn, too. This one is entirely different and plays much brighter than the Xpresión, has a trumpet-sized receiver, but still a small bore and still very dark (compared with any of my trumpets) as heard from the far side of the bell flare. As far as I know, they only made four of these late last winter.

If you contact ami through the site, they'll put you in touch with a "facilitator" near you. They deal on a rep. basis and have people throughout the country. They also respond very quickly to any concerns you might have, though it's unlikely you'll have any issues with a horn because they're very conscious of the quality of instrument they're putting out.

Pricing is also very agreeable, don't expect to pay anywhere near what the MSRP is listed, either.

[​IMG]

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    From the colour of the backdrop and the very typical slight colour distorsions in the camera, it looks Inderbinish to me...

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I wouldn't chuck it in der bin :shock:

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    To throw an uncalled for spanner into the works, or sabot into the gear wheels......

Modern piston flugel horn designs often utilize top sprung pistons (like trumpets). In fact many flugels actually use trumpet valve sections. The difficulty with this design is that the right hand fingers (on the finger buttons) have to be a lot higher than with the more "traditional" bottom sprung valves. The lead pipe of a flugel is connected directly into the port of the first valve, so when you have a longer valve to incorporate the spring the vertical distance between mouthpiece and finger button is quite different.

edfitzvb likes this.