Flugelhorn questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Furgilp, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Furgilp

Furgilp New Friend

Aug 22, 2015
    Thank you for all the advise.
    To answer a previous question I live in the triangle area

One thing i want to say is that i usually prefer buying a horn used as you (in most cases) get more bang for your buck and sacrifice looks for sound.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Worth bearing in mind that every used horn is somebody's reject.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Buying pre-owned is a gamble, sometimes you win ... but not often.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Are you sure?? Just about every post on eBay and on the TrumpetHerald Marketplace says, "It's the best horn I've every played". :cool:

All kidding aside, I agree with Ivan that the value of many used horns is often over-stated.

Mike

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    While that's definitely true, it doesn't necessarily mean that the "rejected" instrument is bad. It's like any other hobby. Often times you get people who are successful in their day jobs and have more money than sense when it comes to the instruments they choose. SO many people throw all kinds of money at gear that they aren't truly good enought to either appreciate, or fully discern whether or not it's a good instrument.

Case in point, I know a guy who I'd bet has flipped $100,000 worth of high end electric guitars for one reason or other, and he was arguably awful as a player. I know another guy in a similar place, only he can actually play. Trouble is, his wife has such an iron grip on their (his!) money that he never gets to keep them for very long before he winds up selling them so he can pay for something she feels the money needs to be spent on. He doesn't even gig!

Guys do the same thing with guns - for them it's the flavor of the week, and there's nothing inherently wrong with any of the ones they've decided to flip. (I got both my H&K USP 45 and my Walther P99 considerably discounted by getting them used, and I really dig them both)

Bringing that around to the subject at hand, there are a lot of stellar instruments floating around out there that can be had for a deep discount off of the new price, simply because someone else who doesn't know any better is throwing money at gear trying to find that magical, elusive set of qualities in a "perfect" instrument that doesn't actually exist.

There's another option if you can find it, and that's finding a used demo. That's what I did with my new Jupiter 1600i trumpet that I got for a fantastic price.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Adding to trickg's post I would suggest some used horns outlived their owners, others are sold out of necessity/hardship, and other owners again may be rejecting a (for them) A- horn while keeping (or buying) their A+ horn.

I have a Strad in perfect nick which I really should get around to selling some day. I suppose then I'm rejecting it in favour of my Shires, or the other two trumpets I have (which might have been rejected by their previous owners).

--bumblebee

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Or in my case, it may result from someone's demise, and was a beloved loss. That is how I came across my Martin Committee. It was a beloved instrument of a trumpeter that has passed. An amazing horn (almost as good as your professional model, almost)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My personal insight. Consider a 4 valve version. This does two things. It improves intonation (but by false fingerings not trigger devices) AND it bridges to the pedal tones and really enhances the sounding of pedals. I use pedal tones in my playing more and more as a result and man does it enhance the emotion in ballads. It will cost a bit more, but it is worth the added value.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oh where's bigdub when we need him? Sigh.....

OK, I'll take it. It's PEDAL tone. Like pedals on an organ. Peddle is to sell.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Pedalling hiz wears?