Flugelhorn Repair Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by merrickw, Jun 9, 2010.

1. merrickw

merrickw New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I arrived because I have a Flugelhorn question.

I have a Couesnon Flugelhorn that plays slightly flat. Meaning, with the tuning slide all the way in, it's slightly flat.

Is it even possible to repair something like that?

I'm in the NYC area and wish Giardinelli's was still around.

Thanks,
    Merrick

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I wonder if mouthpiece choice may be a factor?

3. merrickw

merrickw New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Nah, It's flat with multiple mouthpieces. Unless you mean maybe there's a special 'short' mouthpiece out there that sharpens the instrument?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    You may wish to consider the GR/Melk Flug leadpipe GR Flugelhorn Mouthpieces Sure made a difference for my Olds L-12 flug.

5. merrickw

merrickw New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks a lot for that link. They say that their leadpipe may solve "questionable intonation". That seems to be a gentle way of saying FLAT.

I'll give them a shot - thanks again.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Your Couesnon should use a French taper mouthpiece, and it is indeed different from a Bach taper. Using a Bach taper could indeed result in your horn playing flat. By the way, Couesnon flugelhorns are legendary because of their sound, not because of their intonation. Construction quality, consistency, intonation and valves were not their strong points. They do sound great once you learn to play them; but every time I feel tempted to buy another one I remember why I sold my first one.

7. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Merrick!

Before you do anything irreversable to your horn, have someone else play your horn and see if they also are flat on it.

Guy Clark

8. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    I play an old Couesnon Flugelhorn... serial #1000..it's an awesome horn.. I think you have a mouthpeice problem...Guy's idea is a good one, have someone else play it with their mouthpeice..

9. merrickw

merrickw New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks for all the responses guys -

As far as another horn player, the guy I bought it from, in 1980, told me it played slightly flat upfront.

The mouthpiece that he included was a Yamaha 12F3d Flug mouthpiece. Since I wanted a better one, with a smaller cup, I bought a Giardinelli 17Fi Flug mouthpiece. (I'm not sure about the "i", it looks like a line scratched on).

So that's two players plus two different mouthpieces - all flat (maybe an 1/8th tone or so).

What do you guys think of Bill's suggestion for a GR/Melk leadpipe? At least I'd be mucking with a replaceable part rather than the horn itself.

These are my two mouthpieces, as far as I know, these are proper flug mouthpieces:

[​IMG]

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My Kanstul has a French taper leadpipe, yet I'm still using an old Schilke 16F flugel mouthpiece that was given to me almost 20 years ago by a friend. Problem? It's not a French taper mouthpiece shank. While this is probably not ideal, I ditched the original French taper mouthpiece I had (Kanstul 5C flugal mouthpiece I think) and I still use the Schilke because I liked the sound better. A lot better. With that mouthpiece my leadpipe is at max 3/8ths of an inch out. Fortunately I'm still able to play it in tune and without much other difficulty.

One day I'm either going to have a custom 16F flugal mouthpiece made with a French taper, or (more likely) I'm going to replace the leadpipe with a standard taper leadpipe.

Good luck with that - if I were you I'd go the leadpipe route first. It might cost a bit more, but I think the standard flugal taper will solve the intonation problem and it might open up your selection of available mouthpieces.