Flugelhorn Repair Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by merrickw, Jun 9, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is very possible that the instrument is flat. The only solution is to shorten it. That could be with a shorter leadpipe (if possible) or worst case, having to cut it down somewhere after the valve group.

Isn't Josh Landress in NYC? He is somebody that you could trust!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wouldn't playing the correct mouthpiece also help to solve that problem? A French tapered piece would insert close to a full 1/2" further than a standard tapered piece. That's why my leadpipe is hardly pulled at all - come to think of it, that probably creates some other problems - aren't horns supposed to center properly with the tuning slide pulled at least to a certain point?

3. merrickw

merrickw New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Previously I posted my two flug mouthpieces and here is a pic of my leadpipe.

[​IMG]

I don't know if the mouthpieces and/or leadpipe are French tapered or standard or Bach. So I'm not really sure what should be changed. If someone can identify that from the pics I would appreciate it.

I wonder if shortening this leadpipe would help - considering I keep it fully inserted to the horn as it is.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Have a tech or machinist measure the mouthpiece shanks. If they have a Morse taper they will be smaller in diameter towards the end. You need a French taper (actually no taper at all) for the stock Quesnon pipe. One old solution is to have the mouthpiece turned down so the the OD matches the ID of the pipe, then have the end expanded to match as well. The GR pipe works as well, although, I felt that it altered the character of the Queenie just a bit.

Or... get a French taper mouthpiece. I like Curry and Warburton. They can tell what equivlant size would work for you.