Flugelhorn Solos

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Heavens2kadonka, May 13, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on classical flugel literature I could look into for a recital next year?

Van

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    YEE-HAW!! I just did Gershwin's "Someone To Watch Over Me" (arr by Joe Turpin for Phil Smith) on flugel for my recital... It's a gorgeous piece.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    That would most definitely be a consideration. I love that song. :D

I was told the two major pieces to look at for flugel would be the Posthorn solo and Brandenburg (Taking it down in flugel register supposedly will not ruin the counterpoint).

Van

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Brandenburg down the octave on flugel? I don't think that's the best musical choice. It could work but I don't think I would want to do it.

I played Concerto de Aranjuez on flugel for a rectial. It sounds nice and isn't too taxing.

5. bnbtrpt

bnbtrpt Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    There is a piece written by Michael Nymann (sp?). I believe its just called flugelhorn and piano. I remember some guys in school played this piece. Cant remember if it switches to trumpet or not.

6. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    "Nightsongs" by Richard Peaslee.

7. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Solo by Davis Sampson. It was an ITG supplement a few years ago.
    HD

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another vote for Nightsongs

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    It is - "Flugelhorn & Piano," published by Chester Music.
    Nope, it stays on Flugel throughout.

I like this piece, I just have to find a recital that it will fit into - the past few have been themed and I couldn't get it into any of the themes.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    While the Posthorn solo is probably a fairly obvious choice, let me say that I had a very sad/sweet experience playing it for the memorial service of an older friend who died of Alzhemer's disease several years ago.

The accompaniment was with organ and it's the arrangement by Allen Ostrander (former bass trombonist with the NY Phil). The arrgmt. is for piano but, as I say, the accompanist played organ and I must say it was a stirring thing to play in that context.

Hey, TMike (not to hijack the thread), you would have enjoyed the show I played on Bb the other day. It was half pops and half classic literature. It was the show with Doc where we played a bunch of classical choral/opera barnburners. Of course, I couldn't get Bob or Doug to do it but at leats Chuck did.

Anyway, one day I really would love to perform a Bruckner symphony with flugels... I think with the right symphony it would be amazing. Dave made a mouthpiece for me that makes the upper register as easy as the middle, the point being that it would be more enjoyable than troubling. If I ever do it, I'll write something about it.

How about the second Charlier etude with the new accompaniment? That might make a nice flugel solo. There's also "Vesperale" from the Toot Suite by Bolling. Rather pretty one, that.

ML