Flugelhorn to Lead...Awesome feeling!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Man, my chops love nothing better than the feeling of moving to lead trumpet after playing a flugel for a while...it's great! You suddenly take all that air that was making that gorgeous tone and it turns into this radical energy of screaming! Just felt like posting, wondering if anyone else felt the same, or had some other feeling they enjoyed

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    When I do a music practice, I love starting on flugel! I know when I start to get brassy on the flugel it's time!

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I always start a practice session on flugelhorn. I like being able to fill the horn with more air to recruit lung volume for when I move into advanced playing.

With that said, Mark, why would you limit yourself to screaming with the trumpet AFTER the flugel. Scream with the flugel. That is a cool feeling as well. My audience really gives me more interactive and approving feedback when I scream with the flugel over that trumpet. It is such a great sound.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Oh, I'm working up to that XD I top out around a high D on flugel because of air issues I think. That sounds like fun though!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Mark, yes, I recently took my flugle out of the closet because we have a community band piece that actually calls for the flugel horn. GO figure the conductor says we need "BIG. BOLD, STATELY" sound out of the flugle. (I think he is a bit out of touch with what a flugle is) -- nonetheless the flugle takes more air, and practicing it for just the past week ---- I notice it seems to help the trumpet a bit.

(then again, like last night, I cycled through most of the instruments --- so who really knows what helps what ------ (1 trombone, 2 cornets, 1 flugle, the Eb Alto Horn, and 3 of the trumpets) --------------oooh!!, actually, I only cycled through half of the instruments ----------------- and it only took a mere 1.5 hours!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Playing a marching bone recently and then move back to trumpet. Feels like I'm blowing through a swizzle straw. Makes the 302 feel like a small bore peashooter!! Hmm, have I stumbled onto something here???

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, definitely warming up on a trombone and/or playing a trombone--- and then going to a trumpet!!!! when I do that, I find the chops are warmed up and loosened up enough to actually do much better in the high range on the trumpet.

NOW -- the question to me has always been ------ "are the chops more flexible after the bone, or is the air I am putting into the trumpet --- the major factor in this transistion?" --- I still haven't figured out WHY, maybe it's a combination of both (air and flexible chops)!!!!

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    You know what: Be it trombone, flugel, trumpet - it is the practicing itself that helps IMHO !
    And yes, you become flexible when you switch. On the downside, it is sometimes hard to
    focus. Admittedly, your chops might wear out more quickly. but all in all, musicically and
    tonally speaking, your playing benefits rather than suffers from switching. That is at least my
    experience. Bone, flugel, trumpet - these are the three switches for me.
    IF the cornet is called for, I stay with the cornet though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- I agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!