Flugelhorn, Trumpet, Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Warmest/darkest sound? Or does it really depend on the player :dontknow:. Im classically trained and want to start some jazz.

Also good brands for flugelhorn?? NOt sure what to search for.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Who plays the jazz you like? What do they play on? I suspect you're heading towards flugelhorn in sound (just guessing), though an awful lot of jazz musicians play trumpet.

--bumblebee

3. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    I kinda am leaning towards it just didnt want to jump the gun.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good flugelhorn brands are probably similar to good trumpets brands, including Bach, Getzen, Kanstul, Schilke, Yamaha, and others. If you're in the Oranges, you're not far from Dillon Music who probably has these and others in stock.

Mike

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Oh another Flugelhorn thread, I can't wait! Gmonady!!!

But here we go, Getzen Eterna, Kanstul 1525 or 1526, Jupiter, Yamaha 631, Adams, Taylor Phat Boy, Yamaha Shew, Besson Brevette, Counensoun(sp), Conn Vintage One and the list goes on. What is your price range?

6. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Uhh struggling college student range :?:. Trying to find a decent one to practice with. All my minimum-wage funds went to my bach strad. :-?

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Clark terry is the 1st jazz flugel player that comes to mind. You should listen to some of his stuff. Guido Basso is another flugel guy. Jupiter 846 is your flugel! :roll: Those are good prices on the above flugels.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hmmm, TrumpetMD pretty much nailed it. Personally, I would take Trent's route but you can usually find the Yamaha 631 for about the same price on ebay or craigslist.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Perhaps try a Curry TF mouthpiece on your Strad -- you may discover a sound you like... I had one once (a TF3) before I gave it away (since I did not use it often enough and another TMer wanted it).

Here's a write-up: Curry TF Mouthpiece Review I only read this today but it matches my own experience more or less.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012