"Fluid" Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RUFocused, Jun 17, 2009.

1. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I was playing a set the other night and a hornblower that I play with every once in a while pointed out the fact that my MP pouch consisted of the same basic design and size of mp. (Bach 3C, Benge 1.5C, Bach 5C..... And a Shilke 14a4a) He stated that I was limiting my Chops to only play one specific type of MP (besides my 'lead' piece) and that this could and would cause issues for me in the future.
    In short I called him an idiot and explained my theory behind my, all be it young, choices.
    This guy is in his 30s (or maybe 40s) and plays a lot in this area in many different genres.
    He basicly told me to buy 7-13 different MPs and play a different one each day focusing on tone, attack, release, dynamics, etc. and that this would create a set of lips that was more "fluid" and i could jump from one MP to another very easily (incase my MP get stolen I guess)and would mean that in the long run when I need to change MPs on the fly (meaning less than 2 months) than my face would manage it better and faster.
    what he says makes a little sense, but not much. Anyone else heard of this?
    This chat of ours happened when I asked him about a good Cornet MP for me.... (If you have read my other post)
    After he explained it to me I still don't think it is a good Idea. What do you masters think?

Cheers,
    Jason

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. mkmtrumpeter

mkmtrumpeter New Friend

Jun 17, 2009
    Colorado
    Alright... I'm going to preface this with the fact that I'm only nineteen, I've only been playing for eight years, and I probably have no idea what the heck I'm talking about.

That, in my opinion, sounds completely unnecessary. I can't think of a single reason why you'd need to be able to play on a whole bunch of different mouth pieces if you don't plan on changing. If anything, I would think it would be more sensible to be super flexible on one mouthpiece. In my opinion, people who need a different mouthpiece for every single thing they play (with the possible exceptions of mouthpieces for horns in different keys or a lead mouthpiece for jazz) are using their hardware as a crutch. If you want fluid chops, I would think you'd be able to use only a few mouth pieces to cover all the bases rather than a ton of mouth pieces for specific use only.

That's my personal opinion... I could be wrong, but I've never heard anything about needing to be able to play on every mouthpiece known to man.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Are you sure he was on the level? It sounds more like he was busting your chops, and not talking about fluid chops.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So an aspiring football quaterback should buy a bunch of different balls and practice throwing on different days: tennis, bowling, golf, medicine, ping-pong, soccer, basketball...?

I dunno.

5. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Hardware does not cure problems. It is in you and knowing what you are doing. I primarily play one MP and have learned to play with different sounds and in different styles. I really believe this guy is giving you a line of BS.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is merit to all of the above. If we consider that a mouhpiece/horn combination gives us a palette of tonal colors, then it makes sense that complimentary mouthpiece/horn combinations can expand those palettes. Check this out:

YouTube - Adam Rapa three mouthpieces demo

That means for a Bb trumpet, the "advanced" player could make good use of a standard, lead and flugel cup mouthpiece to get everything from flamethrower to cotton candy.

It is NOT a recipe for better chops. My shortlist:
    Monette B6 and B2LD for lead and commercial
    Monette B2MS3 and B2D for the orchestra
    B2FL for those smokey gigs
    Plus mouthpieces for the cornet, flugel, nat, C and picc.

I only really practice with the nat, B2D and picc mouthpieces though. If I have a lead gig coming and some time, I will use that for a week beforehand.

My students stick with one peice until there is a REAL reason to need more

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    You and Rowuk seem to come up with the craziest of metaphors. This metaphor cannot logically fit towards switching mouthpieces. If anything, it'd be changing the pads / shoes.

As if changing the shoes would affect the Quarterback's playing.

Now, having 7-13 might be a bit extreme. If you play in different types of genres, I would suggest getting a few SIMILAR mouthpieces. If you're gonna play Lead in a jazz band, you should have a different piece than playing a solo Concerto and another different piece if you're playing in a full orchestra / band. That's the only reason why I could ever seen changing to a different mouthpiece would be fitting, honestly. Even then, it's going to be a very weird change since Jazz and Classical are very dissimilar in playing mannerisms.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Having different mp´s for different sounds and jobs is one thing.
    Changing mp´s for the sake of it, or for building chops, is nonsense!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hell! How many feet do quarterbacks have? And odd numbers as well? You folks need to have a serious look at Rugby - where everyone only has two feet.