Flumpet-- an actual object

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Do you guys know that Monette makes something called a Flumpet? It's a cross between a fluegelhorn and a trumpet. It looks really weird, though. It's not something I would play.

2. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    It was created for Art Farmer who used it on a number of recordings.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Oh I don't know. I took a look at it, the wider radius bends should give it a more mellow sound, might be neat to play. Dumb name, though. And considering the price of Monettes, I don't think I need to worry about owning any of their horns any time soon :)

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hearing a flumpet live is an amazing experience. The sound fills the room and envelopes the audience. Having said that it must also be a real hard horn to record. I'm not fond of any recordings on the Flumpet.

5. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree, they tend to sound 'Hollow' on recordings.
    Have you played one Trent?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Last time I was at the factory, I spent some time with it. The easiest playing horn that I have ever had on my face.

Most Monette horns do not like a microphone a couple inches from the bell. They were designed to communicate with audiences and just project too much. I believe that situation has lead Dave to build the newest generation of lightweight instruments. They record very well. The problem with the recordings is more the engineer than the horn. We think that they should know better - but they don't always do............

There is a Flumpet in my future, I just need a couple of more gigs.....................

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The name "flu-mpet" has been choosed because it's an hybrid of a fluegelhorn and a trumpet. Art Farmer did records with it... Anybody knows if some other trumpet players did too ?

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I played a handmade flumpet that was constructed by Jim Becker at Osmun Brass. Nicest horn I've ever played.....I wish I could afford to have one made, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

bigtiny

9. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    Its my "when I win the lottery" horn !

....................or my "to me, from me" retirement gift :D

10. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"It looks really weird, though." -HSOtrumpet1

You think so-

I like the look of it. When i first saw it, i thought Dave had been cheating off my psyche. :) -It looks just like a scetch-design i had done, a while back.

-