Flumpet-- an actual object

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi all, I havent heard a Flu-mpet so maybe I am displaying my ignorance here

Is there really a need for another instrument, in particular one between a trumpet and a flugel? doesnt the many different designs of cornet already existing fill this gap already?

Doesnt each of these instruments give enough choice particularly when married to a well chosen mouthpiece for the projection and warmth needed?

Flugel << most mellow
    shepherds crook cornet << more mellow
    american short cornet << sweet
    american long cornet/trumpet << more bright
    trumpet << bright and good projection

Does the Flu-mpet really give more projection than a well chosen cornet could while still holding on to the mellow sound?

It may be unfashionable but wouldnt a similar instrument to a Conn victor 80a coupled with a medium depth cup mp yield a warm enough tone and still give enough projection?

Am I completely mistaken?

Confused - Brian

2. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brian,
    no instrument can cover for one of its relatives. They all have very unique characteristics that go far beyond bright, mellow and projection. Many pro trumpet players even have various Bb trumpets depending on the job that needs to be done.

In many cases, a symphonic sound is much different than the commercial sound needed in the studio. The lead player in a big band has a much different sound and concept than the second or chorus player. I think you need to go to a music store and give a real flugel a workout. Most of your questions will be answered that way.

You forgot several other important traits:
    Dynamics, clarity, focus, blend, how well the sound holds together before it gets "splatty" and most of all, how well the horn fits the players soul.

Check this link for a good comparison:

David G. Monette Corporation

Here you have side by side Bb trumpets, C trumpets, cornets and flumpets. The picture tells a thousand words and moving pictures millions!

Have fun!

4. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Thanks for that explanation Rowuk, it makes a lot of sense to me now, in particular your point of how well the horn fits the players soul, I can really relate to.

Kind regards

Brian