Flutter tonguing and growling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mud, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay, I'm not sure how to growl on the trumpet, however, I know how to flutter tongue.... I think thats right.

What's the difference between flutter tonguing and growling? I'll "vibrate" my tongue, and it will make that noise. I like to think of it as "lazy double tonguing" because before I learned how to double/triple tongue, I flutter tongued (or growled) and if i controlled it enough, no one could tell.
    Some people tell me I'm growling, while others say I'm flutter tonguing...

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM (gmonady) is the man of jazz --- hopefully he will come by this post and answer ---- actually since I posted, he is sure to come by, as he looks for my posts just so he can give some gOOfy AnSwEr or poke some fun at KT here.
    interesting question though!! -- I will be interested in the answers (just in case I ever try to play jazz) -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Flutter tonguing is fluttering the tongue. It is a more controlled, technical attack on a particular note. The air column generated at high velocity past the tongue helps in fluttering the tongue which helps break up the air flow even more, resulting in the sustaining fluttering pattern.

Growling is growling all over the note some times above and below. It is less controlled and it is Growling or singing a tone into the horn. The tongue is not in a flow pattern, it is (or should be) all over the place, giving more anger to the growl. I actually phrase Grrrrrrrr when I growl. Feel what happens to the tongue when you do this. This gives more freedom to the air flow, allowing the player to vary it, range it, apply dynamics to it... much more than you can do with the flutter. So just say Grrrrr or Groooowwwlll, and you'll be growling with the best of us [being an old fart like me makes the growling easier].

Not really; your posts do that very well all by themselves. I just respond 'cause I love seeing you go on a rant, and then I place bets on a legal betting line as to whether or not you will get banned by the moderators. I actually do not bet against you, and have made quit a bit of money from supporting you. There is just that one time where I lost the bet. Had to skip lunch that day.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    oooooooooooh okay. that makes sense. thanks!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    technically -- I have never been banned, or even put on a suspension. OF COURSE when the moderator(s) send me the nice little "ENCOURAGING, and HEART WARMING PM's" --- I get all teary-eyed, and I explain, how I have been unfairly portrayed --- and how the AUSSIES (although they are quiet of late) --- and ESPECIALLY (you) GM, just have to prod me -- and they bring out the worst in me --- SO MODERATOR, please excuse me, it is NOT entirely my fault
    ---------
    then, don't you recieve a PM from said moderator GM??? yes, good buddy, ole pal -- sorry to always bring you in on that -- can't understand why you would lose a bet --- you must have bet against me -- ONCE anyhow!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    growling -- nice answer -- gee whiz --- MUD, I have to put that in or else I get accused of disrupting your thread

6. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    Hahaha you two ramble like old women. XD ROFL

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well - I heard GM accidentally got a needle stick the other day when he was administering progesterone or estrogen to a patient that was undergoing premature menopause --- perhaps that can explain GM's increase in "feminine" qualities that the hormone might produce in him --- For me, I just answer ----- but my testosterone level is up, as GM also remarked I go on a tirade every now and then ----you know the male, "we gotta pick a fight" deal because of all the testosterone ---- I should just exercise more to take the EDGE off. ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    Hahahaha XD

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh KT.... you silly, silly boy. Now be a dear and go peal me a grape.

Diana Krall - Peel Me A Grape (04.12.99).avi - YouTube

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA