Flutter tonguing and growling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mud, Jul 7, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Glad I could turn you on to a little Diana Krall. Here she is singing about a flutter tonguing technique... English translation is "Kiss me a lot"

Besame mucho - Diana Krall - YouTube

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that seems to make your description of flutter tonguing confusing now
    ---"""" It is a more controlled, technical attack on a particular note. The air column generated at high velocity past the tongue helps in fluttering the tongue which helps break up the air flow even more, resulting in the sustaining fluttering pattern."""""---------

-- then wouldn't that make kissing uncomfortable when fluttering?

I think you must be confused with soft long tones!!!! that seems more conceivable in the process of kissing than fluttering!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am so sorry you're confused with this point Kingtrumpet. It is my feeling your are spending too much time with your trumpet and trombone. You need a woman... I mean you NEED a woman. Practice these techniques, and you will be less confused and you will be a happy man.

4. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    Let us not get caught up in dirty jokes-- or we will all be spoken with the moderator...

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    That's gotta be one of the most detailed descriptions of both I've ever read. Personally, I would characterise them like this:

Flutter tonguing - blow out like you're a kid making a motor boat sound, with the tip of the tongue lightly touching the front of your mouth where the gums and teeth meet.
    Growl - make a gutteral sound with your throat like you're trying to sing like Louis Armstrong.
    - - as an alternative, you can sing a pitch about a third away from the pitch you are playing which actually produces a multiphonic.

6. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    That is actually what I was thinking when i tried it! I even thought of louis armstrong.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    apparently I'm NOT spending enough time on the horns --- you know I can't seem to get the "growl" thing going and still play a decent note on the trumpet -- oh, don't get worried --- The Lion can growl, and the trumpet can play ---- just haven't got both going on together -------such a nice explanation GM, it seems so easy ---- and yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh matey (ooops, there I go again with my Aussie pirate talk) -------arrrgggh doesn't help either!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

good thing, I don't try to play a lot of jazz --- it just wouldn't sound right

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    kingtrumpet - have you tried playing a long tone and very slightly bringing the growl into being, holding that for a moment, and then very slightly sending it out of being, sort of like a crescendo and decrescendo? Are you trying to muscle the growl into a phrase, vs. isolating the technique as working it as a long tone would do?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a very good explanation amidst the "rubble" this post quickly became! ROFL I do both of these and the effect is pretty cool. It has to be done in the proper situation or it just doesn't work. I've done it in church at the right moment and get plenty of smiles like "Oh Yeah!". Other times it would just be out of place.

10. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I like to mess around and sound like a monster truck when I growl on my horn :cool: