Flutter Tonguing Tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, May 3, 2015.

1. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I need to flutter tongue for a part that I've just received. However, I am not able to roll my R's. Are there other ways to flutter tongue, or at least practice rolling my R's to flutter tongue? Thanks!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Domination3785,

You are not alone in finding Flutter tonguing difficult. Some players find it a naturally easy thing to do, and this can be related to their language. Some Europeans and other nationalities have this effect in their daily language.

I am an Australian, with a lazy Australian drawl, so have not been blessed with a natural talent to roll my Rs. It has been difficult. Keep trying, and it will happen. You need to allow a very light tongue to the top of the roof of the mouth. It has taken me years to learn it, but I can do it at will now, So the GOOD NEWS is that we can all do it. Spend 5 mins a day trying. It will happen.

Before I learned how to do it, I did OK with just combining a light growl and a trill - a noise you make in the throat. A Dirty Growl is a combination of the Flutter tongue and a loud growl.

Keep trying, and good luck.
    Cheers

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As children, we are born with and later vocalize all the sounds used in all languages. My children even buzzed their lips sometimes, and yeah, I gave them positive reinforcement.

Absent any physiological reasons, I would suggest not that you "can't" flutter-tongue, but rather you "can't yet."

On the other hand, I know a trumpet player who "can't" flutter-tongue, so he collects spit on the back of his tongue and raises his tongue to the roof of his mouth to create a kind of gurgling sound that sounds kind of like a flutter-tongue.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That sounds kind of like... Gross!:twisted:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Without any mouthpiece anywhere near you lips, look into a mirror. Open your mouth into a wide smile. Then place the tip of your tongue onto the mid section of the roof of you mouth. The make a p sound, reopen your mouth with the explosive force of the p sound and keep the air moving. There you have it... you will be flutter tonguing. Practice this for a few minutes then try it with your mouth piece. Yep, you can thank me in the morning, he says, tongue in cheek.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm.... My children just told me to buzz off.

To that I said Pwhoooo... and he rest Vulgano Brother is history!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tried it. Didn't work. I just flutter the regular way. No wings involved either.

8. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    A good way to get the "roll" going is to open your mouth and casually exhale some air as you move your tongue up to the roof of your mouth (just behind the top teeth). Once you can roll an r, you just do that into the trumpet. However, there are a select few people that simply can never roll their r's (not sure if it's physically impossible for them or just exceedingly difficult), in which case a strong growl might be the best substitute.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Common VB. Get those root Chakra's flowing. You can do this. I'll take Zen flutter over regular flutter any day. Remember I said practice this for a few minutes an not just a quick run through. You can do this.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See VB, limepickle uses the same method I use, he just states it a bit differently.