Flutter tonguing to help slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Manny,
    I've been working a lot in my warmup to get my slurring more even. I tried some of the exercises you gave me, but I have found it particularly helpful to try slurring fifths and octaves while flutter-tonguing. If I don't use my air (and muscles) right, the slur comes out horribly. When I do use my air and muscles correctly, the slur comes out fine.
    Although the exercises you gave me help, it's hard for me to tell if I am doing it "right," whereas it's much more clearer with the flutter-tonguing. Does this make sense?
    -Jimi

2. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    When I studied with Jim Darling in Cleveland, he used to have us practice passages flutter-tongued. I think the point was the air support involved. To maintain the flutter, you have to have good support. Could be the same type of thing more specifically applied to slurs.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jimi,

I don't have any experience with that techinique but gringo may well be right.

ML

4. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    It's also good for forcing you to rely less on tongue level to play your upper register. Try playing scales from your middle register on up while slurring and flutter-tonguing. See if you can maintain the flutter. Requires a lot of air and chops!

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    A different use of flutter tonguing comes from Dave Hickman in developing crisp articulations. My teacher (a Hickman student) used this with me in the Arban syncopation studies. He would have me flutter tongue either an entire etude or certain notes (the beginning of the bar, an 1/8 in 1/8th-1/16th combinations or the quarter in 1/8-1/4-1/8 studies, etc). It worked very well for me, and I use it now with my students that have difficulty achieveing a crisp "pop" on their articulations.

6. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005

EXACTLY!!

It's impossible to flutter with slow/unsupported air. When you lose the flutter, it shows where the inconsistancies are in your air (i.e - changing your air for different registers). It exposes alot.

7. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I used this technique, also to emphasize air support, with Doug Hedwig.

8. thomashooten

thomashooten Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    Flutter

another Idea is to notice the speed of your flutter tongue.
    a fast tight sound could mean your tongue is too rigid.
    I think when you slur while fluttering the speed could increase while sluring up. this could show that you may be using "too much" tongue and not enough focus with the chops or air support
    Just a thought