Flutter Tounging Problems...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cas, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Cas

Cas New Friend

Oct 26, 2012
    Like some unfortunate people I am unable to roll my tounge. This makes flutter tounging extremely difficult for me and I got away with it too until this year in band. We are playing the Pas Redouble-Saint Saens. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can flutter tounge without rolling my tounge?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Open mouth. Stick tongue on roof of mouth. Blow. Note the tongue flutter. Close mouth to embouchure and continue the flutter.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Cas, there are a number of techniques that you can use to learn how to roll your tongue. If you Google "wiki how roll your tongue" you'll find a list of tricks and tips. It took me a couple of months to get up to speed so I could roll my tongue when singing classical pieces. When I started playing trumpet again I found that I could flutter tightly, quickly and with a lot of control.
    There's no breakthrough tip I can offer, just practice every day until you get it - good luck!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My professor couldn't flutter tongue so would build up spit on his tongue to fake it. If, like him, you can play everything else with beauty, style and testicular fortitude no one is going to complain about a flutter tongue. If, like us you would flutter tongue Charlier etude in a lesson just to aggravate him the world would almost, not quite, but almost come to an end. He'd pull out his secret duet book, play the first part fff with an mf sound and yell "support me, support me!"

It was worth it though. I can now play very loud with a good sound and flutter tongue.

Unfortunately, the spit thing is the only solution I know of. Maybe there are others. I suspect one of our tame doctors might come up with a physiological reason why some people can't flutter tongue.