flutter tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matthoffner, Dec 16, 2006.

1. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    flutter tonguing

alright, after speaking to other players, and practicing I have resorted to trumpet master to resolve my problem -

has anyone here successfully taught themselves how to flutter tongue? And no, I can't roll my R's. If there is anyone else out there who can't flutter - what have you done to get around this?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not a big deal, Matt. if you don't know how to roll your R's just growl. You know, that fast gargling sound? It all works out to be very close in sound.

ML

3. jbowman1993

jbowman1993 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Hi Matt,

Great advice from Manny. Growling is how I got around the problem as well. No one ever seems to be able to tell the difference. I can't roll R's, which i got from my Mom. This seems to affect about 20% of the population (with the exception of everyone living in Italy, lol)

But, I have forced myself to learn the flutter, because I find it to be a valuable teaching aid, when demonstrating some concepts about single tongue articulation. It doesn't sound the best, but it is a definite flutter. I have to fimly hold the tongue against the roof of my mouth, and then force the air through it, to start the flutter. It doesn't sound great (sick lawn mower comes to mind), but it gives the students the general idea, and most of them have much more genetic apptitude for it than I do, and they are off and running.

4. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    thanks, ill stick to the growl

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Sometimes if you don't get a good start attack it may create a problem for fluttering. I would make sure that first my attack is correct and then start to try fluttering. But without describing the problem (if there is any) is difficult to us to give any further advice. Great and simple advice from Manny though.
    Manny, I think that pronouncing a T befor the first R is generally recommandable. What do you think?

6. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Matt,

I use flutter tonguing a lot in practice and so always try to get my students to do it if they can. It does seem that some people can just do it, and others just can't... but I have seen students how could just barely do it (ie, either very hard like a machine gun with alot of effort) eventually learn it to do it "right". You just have to try doing it a little bit each day, and eventually they just "click!" get it. It is definitely something not to waste your time on "on the horn" until you can do it just by yourself. Everytime you stop at a red light, try to flutter tongue...

In my experience I think I've seen one kid go from not being able to do it at all to learning to do it... could that be from giving up to soon, or it's just not possible...???

Most people I see that can't do it and try, have their tongue WAY to tense. It's gotta be loose, so it can just flap in the breeze. Good luck trying to get it to "click!"

Matt