Fluttering tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Still trying to build the chops. I find that after a tem minute warm up of low tones and octave slurs, my mid staff notes have a fluttering that I really have to concentrate on to stop. I have been using a Bach 5C and today, I tried the Bach 7C that came with the Yamaha 2320 I use. There is no discernable difference that I can tell. Will this go away with practice or do I try some other MPs?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bruce,
    it will go away after a while. If you hold a heavy book out at arms length for 5 to 10 minutes, your arm will also flutter after putting it down. Practice brings stability of breathing (airflow) as well as stability of embouchure. You still have a little way to go.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Rest as long as you play, soft long-tones , lip-slurs, scales ,with plenty of rests in between each group, approximately 5 minutes on 5 minutes off.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    It sounds more like you've got an airflow consistency problem rather than your chops. If you can't actually feel your chops moving (the corners, that is) then I really doubt it's them that's causing the problem. Are you sure it's not just an off-day and you weren't breathing in a calm manner instead?