Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 22, 2009.

  1. trmpt_plyr

    trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

    Jun 12, 2009
    I'm not sure what it's called, but I think that it's called fluttering. It's when you put your toungue in the middle of your mouth and make it vibrate using your air, making a flutter effect in your sound. I've tried it, but it just doesn't work. Can anyone with experience give me tips, specifics, details, and tricks on how to do it?
  2. ComeBackKid

    ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

    May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It is called flutter tonguing. There are other threads here that discuss it in detail. But, from what I understand, it may be a genetic thing like rolling your tongue. Some can do it and some can't. I never had to practice it - it just came naturally so I am not a good source for telling you the specific things to do. I can also roll my 'R's when speaking Spanish which seems to be a related skill. Others may have additional tips but in the meantime do a search and see what else is here.

    Good luck on this.
  3. trumpetup

    trumpetup Piano User

    Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
  4. Bach219

    Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

    Jun 25, 2008
    Yes that is called flutter tonguing.

    Well I believe if you know how to roll your R's then you pretty much got the idea.

    If you don't, then put the tip of your tongue to where it almost touches the roof of your mouth. Then with some air you got it.

    If still no success, then use more air.

    If still no success, then......well I'm out of ideas!:D
  5. s.coomer

    s.coomer Forte User

    Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Bach 219 is telling you the best advice on how. The only thing that I can add is to relax when you do it. If you are stiff it will not happen.

Share This Page