FocalPoint - Rich Willey

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nick Mondello, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Nick Mondello

Nick Mondello New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    TrumpetMaster:

I had the pleasure of working with Rich Willey on the editing (not the content, per se) of his new book, "FocalPoint - A Centered Approach to Embouchure Development."

Rich has once again delivered an insightful, benefits-oriented book that will help raise your "Hub."

The presentation is First Class and what we've all come to expect from Boptism Publishing. Boptism Music Publishing

Check it out.

Nick

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick, instead of just coming here to plug the book, why don't YOU get actively involved in our network.

I am sure that you have more to offer than news that "yet another attempt" to describe what goes on between the ears is available. If Rich is really so hot, we would also enjoy HIS presence in our family.

Anything less would be a shameless hit and run attempt.

3. Nick Mondello

Nick Mondello New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    Rowuk:

Your point is well-taken. No offense meant or taken.

I accept your invitation.

Thanks!
    Nick

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK Nick,
    I take you up on my offer. What kind of music do you play, what mouthpiece(s), horn(s) do you have and how long have you been doing it! (Oh yeah, and what makes Rich so hot? I live in Germany and have never heard of him. I know there are plenty of great teachers that I don't know, but most of the embouchure attempts do more harm than good if not professionally monitored)

5. Nick Mondello

Nick Mondello New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    rowuk:

Deal.

Me? I'm a working pro, but, lately I also do a lot of narrative writing, CD, performance, and product reviews. Yes, I do some work for other pros in that area. I also write for ITG, all About Jazz and Jazz Improv Mags, etc.
    Jazz is my area, not lead. Berklee alum. Played with many over the years.

I have a few horns, my current that I'm using tonight is a restored Bach 37 that Josh Landress "saved" for me (car accident). A Shew Yamaha, a UMI Benge and a Kanstul Stamm. GR67L is the piece. Flugel is a 1970 Getzen.

I authored "365 Trumpet Lessons" last year. More for beginners.
    My teachers include Carmine Caruso, Jeanne Pocius, Ray Crisara, Jack McGirr (Bill Adam student).

As far as Rich's stuff. He's a Reinhardt devotee. His books are indeed VERY well produced. He's ex-MF and fine player.

Thanks for giving me the chance to share.
    Nick

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Nick, Welcome to the TM Family,
    It sounds like you might be another very positive resource for we mere mortal trumpeteers.

7. RichWilley

RichWilley New Friend

Apr 28, 2008
    It is not what makes me so hot, but I am a long-time student of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt in Philadelphia, from 1978 until 1986 (last time I went to Philly before he died).

I am a guy who started on trumpet (in 1966), had many years of satisfactory trumpet playing, but started "falling apart" in 1978, the year I went to see Reinhardt. I was making great progress before suffering a lip injury in '79, which began a long period of unstable playing, a switch to valve trombone & bass trumpet, and finally back to trumpet successfully in 1995.

A couple of the moderators of other forums here know me and know my playing. I went to school with Tommy Hooten at University of South Florida (I was newly back on trumpet then), and I played in rehearsal bands in NYC with Tony Kadlek (I was a bass trumpet player then).

And as Nick said, yes, I toured with Maynard Ferguson in the fall of 2001 when Ernie Hammes couldn't get his passport through due to the World Trade Center attacks of 9/11/2001. I played 2nd trumpet, the jazz chair, and was recommended for the band by my good friend Jeff Rupert, a long-time tenor sax player for the Boss.

You can read my resume under the Rich Willey tab at Boptism Music Publishing and you can listen to clips of me playing.

Now that all that has been said, back to this book which Nick risked so much to tout here: FocalPoint is a distillation of many of the concepts of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt that have really helped me put my chops together, both as a trumpeter and as a valve trombonist/bass trumpeter.

This book tells you exactly how to gauge the amount of each section you ought to practice so you ought to never "hurt yourself" working out of this book. There have been many trumpet books written which don't require that you actually study with the guy who wrote it to make great progress.

There are 12 pages of technical studies that every trumpet player (including me) can benefit from. This book gives you a balanced "diet" of drills to work out the essentials of brass playing on a daily basis.

You can read about this book here. I did not write this book to make money. I wrote it to pass along some great concepts that I learned from Reinhardt, concepts which are often confused because they appear in a book of text, not in a book of drills that implements them.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    RW,
    Thank you for that! I can really appreciate your approach.

Will you check back here from time to time? I am sure that there will be interest in your book, and of course questions that you would be best qualified to answer!

I also started trumpet in 1966. I'll check your book out soon!

9. RichWilley

RichWilley New Friend

Apr 28, 2008
    Part of the deal with this new book is the "product support" you get with it.

If you take a look at the Pivot Publishing FAQ page, you'll see links to a couple of helpful PDFs that can be downloaded and printed out for those who already have this book.

Thank you.

10. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    Hey guys - I'll chime in with a plug for Rich's books - don't know him, except through the web but love using his books in my personal practice and with students (good customer service, too!) - the jazz duets are worth checking out as is the Reinhardt Routine - I haven't seen the Focal Point book yet (just ordered today...) but I expect it will be a nice addition - i especially love the Jazz Improv Materials book just for getting fingers and ears together in all keys - good stuff and worth checking out!

Tim