FONTmusic-The final day-2005

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Aug 26, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The concert group will be-
    Nabaté Isles, Sarah Wilson, C.J. Camesreri, Bart J. Miltenberger, Peter Evans, Matt Shulman, Chris DiMeglio, Jesse Selengert, Wilmer Wise, Ted Daniel, Glenn Makos, Ahmed Abdullah, Dave Douglas, Jon Nelson, Mac Gollehon. Please forgive my spelling :oops:
    Butch Morris is the conductor/composer/arranger. His "Conduction" is a unique work. Everyone,including the performers, will be hearing it for the first and only time ever. Butch provides the structure and the musicians provide the content of the work. Come hear this one time only work.

Let me say that there are going to be moments that you will think your ears are playing tricks on you. These guys are re-writting the book on how the trumpet works.

Wilmer :-o

2. bas

bas Pianissimo User

Jun 2, 2005
    Iowa City, IA/Corfu, GR
    Mr. Wise,

I saw the performance last year and was blown away by the composition and improvisational content that all provided. I've worked with Walter Thompson and his Soundpainting language and am always open to "new music" techniques....this is CERTAINLY one of them! Pity that I am stuck in the heartland this year....

B

3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Trumpet Nation was smoking :cool: The players there all brought their"A" game. The ensemble work was otherworldly. Butch Morris' manipulation of the forces at hand was masterly. We all sat on stage in two rows, Butch could pick who was playing, and what was going on by the sweep of his baton. Every eye was riveted on the conductor, who for once, was giving real cues, not gestures to please the crowd. It was thrilling to be there.
    Dave Douglas, Matt Shulman, Peter Evans and the rest of the guys made magic with Butch.
    It was unforgettable.
    Wilmer

4. bas

bas Pianissimo User

Jun 2, 2005
    Iowa City, IA/Corfu, GR
    Sounds like it was a beautiful and musical hang!

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The hang after the gig felt like the old days. We went to a bar down the street to say our thanks to Butch, Jon and Dave for a great musical experience. Mark Gould and Jimmy Owens were at the concert. Mark made the hang. It was a blast........no pun intended :cool:
    Wilmer

6. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Wilmer,

It was great seeing you last saturday - what an amazing concert you all put on! It was absolutely a thrill to hear, and the hang after was very cool - good to sit down and have a beer with everyone after the month long fest.

To all the players here that missed this or any of the other Festival of New Trumpet Music, keep an eye on www.fontmusic.org for next year's events.

See you soon.

Cheers,
    Spitty

7. kateeba

kateeba New Friend

Dec 19, 2003
    Connecticut
    Wilmer

Unfortunately, I didn't catch Butch Morris' Conduction with you guys at Font this year, but I just did a Conduction with Butch up here in New Haven, Connecticut last weekend.

What an experience!! There were only 2 trumpets in this one. Myself, and Stephen Haynes. There were 11 of us total, and we had 4 rehearsals at 4 hours each prior to our 2 set performances on Oct 29th here in New Haven Connecticut at a new club (dedicated to new creative original music), called the "Firehouse 12".

It was incredible and a joy to be involved with. We had two sellout sets at around 60 people each and they seemed to thoroughly enjoy it.

It was one of the most challenging gigs I ever did. The concentration involved in watching Butch every second was intense. The sounds and music that emerged was so unique and rewarding.

I would love to do it again.

Lou Guarino