Food processors

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, May 1, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Help,

I want to start making my own pesto.

I understand that the quickest way to make it is with a food processor. However, for the life of me I can't think of anything else I'd use the damned thing for! Yes, I know it chops and grates and all that mess. I know... but I just like doing that sort of thing by hand, even Parmesan cheese, bloody knuckles and all.

What other recipes make a FP worth the trouble of cleaning up afterwards? That's my big question. I'm just not going to drag it out to chop stuff up. Also, are there good ones made of glass as opposed to that oil-absorbing plastic? What a pain in the neck to clean! Somebody mentioned salsa, that's not bad. I want about half a dozen sauces or whatever that makes a FP worth the money and clean up time.

Thanks,

ML

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Whenever I make pizza sauce, I use a food processor to whizz up the chopped tomatoes to make a nice smooth sauce. Works a treat for that.

Mine also has a "milkshake" attachment, which frothes up milk, so whenever it's a nice sunny day, I whack in a load of Green & Blacks chocolate icecream, cocoa, sugar and milk - and hey presto, a gorgeous cold thick milkshake is ready in seconds. Aaah :-)

3. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    And therein lies the problem...

You see, I already have a blender for stuff like the milkshakes and what not but I'm sure not going to make savory sauces in the same place I make sweet things unless it's a glass container. Mine's a plastic one and I'm not into garlic flavored ice cream!

But the pizza sauce is good... I'll start the list there, buddy.

Larry Malin and Wilmer... I know you guys have some thoughts on this.

ML

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    One word

Margaritas!!!

Regards,

Trevor

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- We use it for Hummus. (Garbanzos, garlic, olive oil). Great also for doing walnuts for cake topping or sundaes. Also great for Salsa! Other things too, but I can't seem to think of any others right now. I know I put it in the dishwasher alot!

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Great ideas, folks... what about the glass vs. plastic issue? Am I making too much out of it? I like hand washing stuff like that so that it's always at the ready as opposed to waiting for the dishwasher to finish running.

ML

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I like glass anyway, I think that it provides a neutral medium every time..and like you I handwash those sorts of things rather than consigning it to the dishwasher.

Regards,

Trevor

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I think glass is easier to clean and holds up better over time. What brands are you looking at Manny?

9. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    you can make ur own icees!

and i use it for pesto all the time!
    and hummus....
    and fruit smoothies....
    etc etc

i have a glass one....

good luck man!

10. Jimi Michiel